any advice

kidsluv2swim

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2008
We are getting ready to open our pool. This is our first opening because the pool was just installed last July. Here is my problem. Our pool is in our back yard, which directly abuts a very large field. They currently are digging up this field to put in several ball fields. This construction is expected to last all summer. The cover on our pool is filthy dirty and I am nervous about what will happen when we take the cover off? How can I stay on top of the dirt?

Once you take the cover off you will need to keep up with removing any dirt that gets into the pool and you might want to run your FC level one higher than normal to account for the extra debris getting into the pool. It is extra work, but it is completely possible to do if you have a little extra time to do the vacuuming.

We can sympathize with you on this. Last year the school across the street from us was torn down due to new construction of a high/middle school complex elsewhere in the city. The building was 3 stories tall and constructed of red brick exterior and old plaster walls inside. The brick dust, dirt and other debris created quite a mess for our entire neighborhood. Not only did it settle on the pool :cry: but also the cars, house and anything else in its path :roll: . This was even with the demolition crew spraying the debris with water during the tear down. The pool was probably the easiest of things to handle of all.

We kept the pump running 24/7 on low unless we were swimming or vacuuming (which was almost every other day some weeks). We did have to clean our filter cartridges more often than normal as it would have a lot of the red brick dust on it. But this wasn't too bad once we got use to doing it. I kept a closer eye on our chemicals and made sure that the chorine level stayed near the upper side of teh recommendations on this site. Washing or rinsing off the cars, front porch, decks comsumed considerable more time than the pool did. I was actually glad the pool was in the back yard and partially blocked by the house that received a lot more of the dust and dirt on the front side. I would highly recommend a skimmer sock on the basket of your skimmer as it well reduce the amount of the dirt and dust that gets to the filter media regardless of which kind you have.

Good Luck and remember better days are ahead. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.