I Think I Have A Leak

MAndrews1

May 3, 2016
Toledo, OH
I think this is the right sub-forum for this.... I am testing my water level [emoji35]

Currently doing the bucket test with the pump on and the water seems to be dropping on the pool side. Also my psi seems a bit low at 9. It was in the 12 range a few days ago. Turned off the pump and put some dye in around the light and skimmer box. They didn't seem to get sucked in. Need to try the drain still somehow.

This pool will be the death of me this year. Already replaced all the pad equipment to start the season.

My return and suction lines are under concrete.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm almost certain it's a leak. I remember when we got the house and had the pool company out they fixed a leak in the main drain area.....with that the pump only pulls water through the skimmer

If you haven't done so already ... it's best to try and isolate the leak to either the suction or pressure side. Water leaking with pump on would be the pressure side (and/or inside the shell). Shut the system down and find leaking then it's probably the suction side (or the pool shell somewhere as well). Close certain plumbing runs to try and isolate a location as well. Probably things you already know, just talking out loud. :blah:

If you haven't done so already ... it's best to try and isolate the leak to either the suction or pressure side. Water leaking with pump on would be the pressure side (and/or inside the shell). Shut the system down and find leaking then it's probably the suction side (or the pool shell somewhere as well). Close certain plumbing runs to try and isolate a location as well. Probably things you already know, just talking out loud. :blah:
Pump is running right now and water is lowering. I'm going to turn it off over night to see how it will progress. My bet right now is the drain...but I've never been good at gambling.

Leaking continuously would point to something like behind your light in the niche, or around the seal of your skimmer/main drain. If you can't pinpoint it with water coloring of some sort, some people will simply let it drain for a while and see where it stops (i.e. at the light) then they have a good idea where the culprit it.

I think I may have found the leak. The water level held pretty consistent between the bucket and pool last night with the pump off. When we got the house a 4 or 5 years ago I remember the pool company saying that their was a leak with the main drain. Last night I replaced the rubber stopper that is in the drain line to the skimmer box and the water seemed to stay level. I am letting it go for another 8 hours today just to make sure. I also think I found the source of my high CC level last night when I pulled out the basket from the main drain. Lot of muck and leaves hiding in there. :snorkle: :suspect:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.