Bacquacil to Chlorine conversion troubles

I started my conversion at the beginning of May and I got the reaction expected with all the pretty colors in the pool. I've had some complications along the way with phosophates, which led to an algae bloom, which I have since dealt with. The pool is clear, and does not register a Bacqucil reading.

I have not been able to hold a chlorine reading for more than 12 hours (which I am increasing through use of BurnOut 73). How do I determine how high I should raise my FC to and maintain it at this level in order to get it to break?

The pool store says that I must still have Bacquacil biofilm in the pool that is eating the chlorine. Because of other responsibilities it is difficult for me to dedicate straight days and hours to the conversion. However, I am off Friday through Monday this weekend and thought I'd try to hit it hard. They recommended putting enough shock (Burnout 73) in every 3 hours to maintain a certain level until it breaks. I have a 20,000 IG pool. CYA is 57. FC 0, CC .1 PH 7.1 (in the process of raising this), total alkalinity 111.

I am extremely frusterated with this process and I'm ready to give up and switch back to Bacquacil.

Welcome to TFP :)

we have a how to just for this, I am not sure you saw it. Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

The burnout 73 is just feeding the pool store, I can't imagine how expensive that is but change to bleach/liquid chlorine.. Walmart has 10% liquid chlorine in the pool isle for 2.50 a gallon..

Check out poolmath http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html it will help you out..

How are you testing the FC to get it to 15, this is a very important step.. how many times a day are you testing or able to test..

We can get you there, many have done it before :)

I agree 100% with Casey. There are no magic bullets for the conversion, and following the Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine page step-by-step is critical. Chlorine will do it. But if you didn't follow the TFP process, I would repeat the process starting with meeting and maintaining the FC requirement, changing the filter media, etc. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Until you have a test kit we don't want you to really add much more than a bottle of 8.25% bleach to the pool each day with the pump running. We do not trust the pool store numbers and without your own test kit you do not have the ability to constantly monitor the FC level of the pool. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits that we recommend contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

I would say you should order a TF100 and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

First things first......WELCOME TO TFP!!

Onto your problem. I've got a few quick questions as something seems "off" here.
1. What are you using to test with? Attempting the conversion without a FAS/DPD kit is something I would NOT recommend to anybody!
2. You mention you have a CYA level of 57. When did you add this and how? Baquacil system for doesn't use CYA so having this in your water points to an error somewhere along the way. Was a Cya level of 57ppm a pool store reading?
3. Can you post a photo of your water? This will help us greatly see just where you're at in the conversion.

I ordered the test kit but expected delivery is not until next wednesday which is a bummer because I have 4 days straight starting Friday to dedicate to the pool. CYA was allot higher, can't remember what, but I've vacuumed to waste so much and refilled the pool it has dropped. All readings currently come from my pool store performing the tests. They initially recommended I start the conversion by draining the pool, but I didn't feel that was an option because I am on my own, and I don't think the liner is in great shape, and no money to replace right now. But within a matter of days it went through the bacquacil color change and got a reading of 0 bacquacil. So they and I thought things were going smoothly. I have to admit I am nervous about using bleach.

I ordered the test kit but expected delivery is not until next wednesday which is a bummer because I have 4 days straight starting Friday to dedicate to the pool. CYA was allot higher, can't remember what, but I've vacuumed to waste so much and refilled the pool it has dropped. All readings currently come from my pool store performing the tests. They initially recommended I start the conversion by draining the pool, but I didn't feel that was an option because I am on my own, and I don't think the liner is in great shape, and no money to replace right now. But within a matter of days it went through the bacquacil color change and got a reading of 0 bacquacil. So they and I thought things were going smoothly. I have to admit I am nervous about using bleach.

Bleach/liquid chlorine is the cheap version of chlorine, the stuff you use for laundry is 8.5%, liquid chlorine from walmart is 10% and they also have 12.5% from HASA dealers :)

your water can look like this :)

N5CCcCzh.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's all the same - sodium hypochlorite. So the Wal-Mart Pool Essentials (10%), their Great Value (8.25%), even pool store liquid chock (12%) - it's all the same - chlorine. Whenever you buy though, make sure any regular bleach is NOT splashless and has no scents. Just plain/regular. :) I would not use the Smart Sticks at this time.

Looking at your water it's clear to me you've got a ways to go. It's still cloudy and likely has a good bit of Baqua in there hiding. Ignore the pool store as they've already led you astray a good bit making things more difficult for you. Wait for your kit and we'll work from there.

The fact that your water is milky not mountain dewy is good. Are you still getting copious amounts of yellow precipitate? If not, you might want to go ahead and change the sand, or at minimum do a deep clean as described elsewhere on this site. And until you get the test kit, i personally would target FC based on shock level at your cya, despite the possibility of inaccuracies. I would add the chlorine calculated to get to this level just in the evening, however, until you get your test kit. Assume FC is zero after running all day. i know this is a different opinion, but it is what i would do. jmo and remember it is worth what you paid for it.

Edit-ignore this, i've been correctly chastised. no harm intended.

Are you still getting copious amounts of yellow precipitate? If not, you might want to go ahead and change the sand, or at minimum do a deep clean as described elsewhere on this site.
Hold off on filter media changes until after the OCLT is passed.

Here are the directions to follow: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Assume FC is zero after running all day. i know this is a different opinion, but it is what i would do. jmo and remember it is worth what you paid for it.
This is an unsafe practice. We do not advocate adding chlorine to shock level on untested water. Never assume it is zero.

We won't know anything until your kit comes in and you can run get a full panel of test results.

Going to the pool store will just confuse you. Not for nothing, but they don't know a whole lot about the TFP methods and even less about Baquacil. A few years back, the store manager at a local Namco admitted as much by telling me they only carry BQ products as a courtesy to their customers (I remember thinking, "Well no kidding. That's why people shop, but it would behoove the proprietor to know a little something about that which they sell. Don't you think?).

Please excuse the bluntness, but the pool store steered you wrong in having you add stabilizer, especially to that level (If it is that level). It's going to take even more Liquid Chlorine (BTW, Liquid Chlorine is just stronger bleach by a different name) to reach the appropriate levels to finish the conversion. While you may have to do a partial drain, don't do it yet. Wait for your test kit and post a full panel of results. Without the test kit you are flying blind.

In order to not feel like you are wasting time until the test kit arrives, I suggest you continue to familiarize yourself with TFP, brush, vacuum, and add a jug of concentrated bleach or Liquid Chlorine per day.

momoftwins, you mentioned that you don't' have much time to invest in this until Friday correct? We also know the pool store steered you in a bit of a different direction by adding stabilizer prematurely. But to this point, I haven't seen anywhere that you changed the filter media yet ... did you? And you're still in the position where you simply cannot seem to retain FC correct?

Well...I actually changed the media to glass at the time I opened the pool, before conversion. The pool store this was ok to do. I think I had a Bacq reading of about 30 when I started the process. I stared the conversion of Friday and by Monday, pool was clear and no Bacq. I mentioned to the them they had me change the media at the beginning and they said it wouldn't matter because the glass worked so good. I am very disappointed because up until now the pool store has been great. They told me they've done many of these conversions successfully. I have a feeling media change at the beginning is going to be a problem.

Maybe, hard to tell yet. We're actually going over your specific situation behind the scenes a bit since your conversion took a couple funny twists and turns before you got to us. :) Give us a short time to discuss some options and one of us will get back with you as soon as we can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.