Return pressure low - new pool

Jun 7, 2016
Rochester/NY
We are new to this forum and new to pool ownership completely so I apologize in advance for probably sounding stupid and not using the correct terms! We have a 24 ft/54 in round above ground pool with a 1HP pentair pump and black diamond cartridge filter (we also have a leap frog chlorinator and pentane heater).
Our pump and filter were running wonderfully for the first 3 weeks of use. The gauge was running at about 13 PSI With great water pressure coming out of the return to the pool. All of a sudden this weekend (only week 4 of a brand new pool) we noticed a very week water pressure out of the return and saw that the PSI was up to 18-20 (which is where the "clean filter" indicator is). It seems crazy that things would already be so dirty but we've tried everything to clean our brand new equipment! Cleared all the water, hosed the filter and cartridge, cleaned the skimmer out, cleaned the pump basket out. We vaccuumed and cleaned all the walls. Nothing is working! It's got such a weak pressure now into the pool from the return. Is this normal? Is this just now it runs normally now that it's a month old? One noticeable difference is the pump basket is just full of water while running where before we could see the water swishing around.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!
THANK YOU!!

Well, the water swishing around is a bad thing but that's a somewhat different problem.

Higher pressure and low flow almost always means a clogged filter. Your filter has done exactly what you wanted it to but now it is full and needs to be cleaned.

Thanks for the welcome and reply :) we cleaned the filter out very well, every part of it. We are maintaining chlorine well (auto feeder and shocking about once a week). Cannot keep stabilizer level up (or any other level for that matter) for the life of me!

Yeah I missed that swishing comment. That should not happen. The pump should be completely full of water.
The swishing is what was going on when you thought it was working correctly?

- - - Updated - - -

Read the links I provided above. TFP does not "shock" pools weekly.

Post up test results, preferable from one of the Recommended Test Kits as that is almost required for us to help.

Hmmmm are we missing something in cleaning the filter? We emptied it of all water sprayed inside and removed cartridge and sprayed that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Will do. Yeah the pressure was awesome and the PSI Hovering at 13 that was with the swishing. No more swishing now.

Not sure. That said, when your psi increases and flow diminishes, it is because of increased restriction on the water as it flows thru your system. About the ONLY place for that to occur is in the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.