Cloudy Pool not improving with SLAM

Hi There,
We've being trying to get our pool clear. It started as a green swamp. It is now blue but very cloudy. We can see the bottom of the shallow end but that's it. The deep end is completely cloudy. We started by using shock as recommended by our pool contractor (mistake I know) had major improvement (from green swamp to cloudy blue) - but can't seem to get past the cloudy blue part - has been about the same for probably 5 or 6 days now.
On Saturday June 3 I did my test kit and got the following results:
FC 8.6
CC 0.2
pH 7.0 (when I tested pH prior to adding any chemicals - at the end of May - it was 7.2. I forgot you are not supposed to test while SLAMing and got a result of 7.0 and added some ph UP that my pool contractor had left at our house - I know you recommend Borax, but I just used this cuz I had it on hand)
TA 60
CH 50
CYA 50

I switched to the TFP SLAM method taught here on Sunday June 4th. I've been trying to keep my FC at 20 (since CYA is 50). Here's some test results:
Sunday Morning: FC = 9.5 (added 10.8% liquid pool chlorine per pool math)
Sunday Evening: FC = 19.5 (so did not add anything)
Monday Morning: FC = 12 (added 10.8% per pool math)
Monday noon: FC = 22
Monday evening: FC = 17.5 (added liquid chlorine per pool math)
Tuesday Morning FC = 20 (added 1 5 litre bottle of pool chlorine as we would be out all day and was worried it would drop during the day)
Tuesday Evening FC = 15.5

I brushed the pool on Sunday and Monday and we run our Dolphin Triton robotic vacuum for several hours each day. We backwash as pressure builds in the filter (per TFP guidelines) and the need to backwash has been getting less and less. Was backwashing almost every day at first (when shocking using pool shock) but now can go several days before we need to backwash.

I see no improvement in cloudiness at all. What am I doing wrong?

We have 2 chlorine pucks in each skimmer. I saw from a different post that you told someone to get rid of them. Should I do that? Why?

Want to get the pool clean before we hook up the SWG for the first time and then add salt.

Also, I am running out of testing reagents for Chlorine and CYA. I don't think I have enough left to test CYA again. I have ordered more but because I live in Canada they are hard to find. Had to order on-line and they will not arrive till next week. I may run out of R-0871 to test FC soon. What do I do?

As you can see I've been testing only for FC levels for the past few days. Is that ok or should I be testing for other things?

Also my husband and I work full time and are out of the house between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm everyday (sometimes more depending on schedules). We cannot get home a lunchtime as we live too far from work. Therefore it is hard for us to add chlorine more than 2x daily.

Sorry for the huge list of questions. Appreciate any feedback/guidance you can give.

The SLAM takes patience toward the end. You're doing the right thing, it just takes time and it always works when carried out properly. You have a very large pool as well so that's a factor. At this point you're at the stage where you are nearly through the algae, but you need to keep elevated FC levels while the dead algae (and some live still) is filtered out. Brushing and running your robot will help things out by keeping the particles suspended, more likely to be filtered.

You should take the pucks out because they will raise your CYA. All trichlor pucks will add 6 ppm of CYA for every 10 ppm of FC they add. Pucks should also not be placed in skimmers as that can create a corrosive environment for your skimmer, pipes and pump. Trichlor tablets are also acidic so a superchlorinated, low pH environment will degrade plastics. Not a severe issue if your pump is running 24/7 but much worse if they are in there with the pump off at any time.

You should be testing your FC and CC using the 10 mL sample rather than 25 mL. It saves on a lot of reagent and is plenty accurate for the SLAM procedure as well as normal maintenance testing. Looks like you have been since the initial test but thought I would mention it.

Adding DE to your sand filter can help accelerate filtration at this stage. You won't need much so see if you can pick a small package (5 pounds or so will last a long time) up from a pool store or from your contractor. Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Patience is key. It took longer than a few days for it to go green, so it will take some time to clear.

Though three days may seem like a long time to hold the CL levels, it really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things.

You don't need to retest CYA unless there have been significant changes, such as a large drain of water or 5+ inches of rain, unless you weren't confident in your reading. (Sometimes that comes into play, if you read it low, SLAM at a lower FC target and don't see any results after a week.)

Often it's recommended to take a picture each day in the same place, such as the steps, to see changes in the water clarity. It might not look like much day to day, but looking at day one versus day four, there's usually a noticeable difference. It probably took more than a week for your pool to turn green, it usually takes time for it to completely clear. Don't forget to brush regularly and run the pump 24/7.

*Edited to ad: Sorry for the repeat info, lol, JV types faster than I.

Ha well if you read further you would see I have been raising to 20 and trying to keep I there since Sunday morning
Yeah, I did read further and commented on that but my post got truncated....careless on my part.

What I intended to add (my apologies) has been said so be patient and keep SLAMming....you might be closer than you think.

You'll get there, you just need to keep it at your target for SLAM as consistently as you are able to. I leave at 6:45 am and return home 5:15- 5:30ish pm so when I am in the midst of SLAM I realize I could fall under target during those times and that is the reason my SLAM could take a bit longer than someone else doing it who can constantly monitor throughout.

Brush when you can it really does speed the process.

Good Luck and Keep us Posted!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can test and does another time or two. They will not even but try this:

-after first cup of coffee-test and dose

-home and change clothes-test and dose

-after dinner wine-test and dose

-before turning in for bed-test and dose

Please take a pic and brush during the after home time.

The pics will help you see the change in color. Your eyes cannot see the difference from day to day but the pics will show it to you.

Kim:cat:

Perseverance has paid off! Now seeing major improvement in pool. Started to see improvement the day after I posted. SLAM is not done yet but I estimate I am 90 to 95% of the way there. My cc is 0. FC dropped 3 overnight so not quite there for this test. Water is not yet crystal clear but very close to it. Can see clearly to bottom of deep end, but the water looks just slightly cloudy in the deep end compared with the shallow end. I will continue to SLAM until I hit all three.

In the meantime, is there any reason why I can't start adding salt to my pool to get it ready before turning the SWG on? I believe the salt needs to circulate for 24 hours before turning the swg on anyways and I don't plan to do that until I'm 100% done the SLAM.

Really appreciate all the advice I've received from TPF. Thanks everyone! :)

That is awesome news! So glad it is working! Do you have a main drain? If so make sure it is open and doing it's job.

Do you have a light? If so take it out and clean it and behind it. Use a tooth brush to get all of the small areas.

Can you take your ladder out? If not the get a brush and make sure to clean under them and in every place inbetween.

I do not know the salt answer sorry.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.