Summer Solstice

vela

Sep 22, 2015
League City/TX
Not sure if this is the place to post this thread, but here it goes:

The summer solstice is fast approaching. This means (at least for us in the lower portion of the US) that during the 2 weeks before and the 2 weeks immediately after, we are peppered with a higher concentration of UV as the sun is closest to its zenith and at its zenith in our hemisphere at the Tropic of Cancer. July and August might be hotter, but less UV is actually reaching us (relatively speaking) as the sun is already moving back to the equator (I know, the earth is tilting; the sun is not actually moving).

Should we expect higher FC loss during these next 4 weeks or is it a wash due to higher temperatures in the Jul/Aug? I know I'm probably worrying about the wrong thing, but it's an interesting topic and also one that should be kept in mind for sunscreen diligence.

The energy incident on the pool, across the entire spectrum, is proportional to the cosine of the angle of incidence off normal. So it really doesn't change that quickly and May 21st/Jul 21st is only about 2% lower than June 21st. Not much of a difference. It changes much faster near the equinox.

The energy incident on the pool, across the entire spectrum, is proportional to the cosine of the angle of incidence off normal. So it really doesn't change that quickly and May 21st/Jul 21st is only about 2% lower than June 21st. Not much of a difference. It changes much faster near the equinox.

*nightmares of sophomore geometry resurface ominously*

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.