Howdy from Texas

Jun 7, 2016
Dallas, TX
I found TFP about a year ago and thanks to this site got a new and better appreciation for how to maintain my pool after 20 years of listening to conflicting advice from the various pool stores locally, have learned a ton from the generous members and admins of the site. Thanks for that.

Over the years, I've pretty much rebuilt everything that is above ground on my pool including a full re-plumbing (on a new 6" poured pad), heater and pump rebuilds, control repairs and the like. Along the way, I bookmarked TFP and have found much useful information.

I finally decided to join when I had something specifically to contribute that hopefully will help others. While helping a neighbor troubleshoot his heater we found a partially clogged pilot that caused the induced-draft heater to cycle. It wasn't my best troubleshooting effort but some hours into it I googled 'heater won't cycle' or something like that and arrived, again, at TFP. While the posts did not exactly identify the problem they got us to thinkin' about gas and flames and we eventually arrived at the $0.00 fix (rust in the pilot tube). I joined to post our findings and fix.

I have a background in embedded control systems, including pool controls, so maybe I can contribute more as topics come up. Until then, again, thanks to all that have helped me even while lurking.

JohnInTX

Thanks, Dave!
I can sympathize with the whole 'automation' thing and can I understand your shyness about all of it. I have become a reluctant fixer of things in the neighborhood and lots of it is simple electronics that are diagnosed as 'can't be fixed, replace it' for $$$ when as little as a shot of contact cleaner or a dab of solder gets it going again. I decided to join TFP after helping a neighbor clean his heater pilot (tech said he needed a new control board or if that didn't work a new heater). Previously, the same guy was told he had to replace his salt system controller because a connector broke off the control board and as it was obsolete, he was in for a new $3K system. It was a common connector and I was able to replace it por nada. I have a real aversion to that kind of 'can't be fixed - replace it' thing.

Anyway, the primary reason for my joining, as opposed to lurking, was to share my fix to the heater and as thanks for the other good info I have gotten from this site, particularly in helping with pool chemistry. To the extent that I can help with other stuff, I'm happy to do so.

Thanks for the welcome!
John