Starting Conversion Using Sodium Percarbonate

Alright, you are not done, but you are more than half way there.

The sequence for now is to test and add chlorine back up to 15, from one to three times a day (evenings are best), test FC in the evening after the final chlorine addition and again the next morning to get a sense of your progress.

Thanks, Jason. After chlorine additions yesterday and last night, this morning we're at 7.5 FC and 3.0 CC. Just added more chlorine to get it up to 15 FC.

Good news is that this morning you can see the bottom and the water no longer has a green tinge. It's not crystal clear and beautiful yet but I think we're (hopefully) getting there.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

UPDATE: It's 2 1/2 hours since last addition of chlorine. FC is now at 12.5. Adding more chlorine to reach 15 FC.

Question: I can see very very small little white bits on top of the water in some areas. Can't tell if it's from our beech tree or the dogwood trees, or could it be little bits of Baquacil still? I put one of those socks over the skimmer basket to catch the stuff.

Another update. The FC is now at 6.5 so will be adding more chlorine this evening. I can't believe how clear the pool is! It really is amazing. Our pool with Baquacil never looked this good.

We're still not done with the conversion yet, but I thought I'd take an updated picture. It's early evening and no sun so pic might be kind of dark.

Attachments

• PoolConv4.jpg
    PoolConv4.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 167
Thanks, Jason! We still can't believe how crystal clear the pool is!!! I can't stop looking at it :)

This morning FC was 14.5 and CC was 1.5. What should we do next? Make sure everything is all balanced? Should we add any more chlorine?

Once everything is balance, then we wan to put the salt in for the SWG.

You can go ahead and add the salt any time.

If FC was 14.5 or 15 or 15.5 last night, you can go ahead and replace the filter media and then add CYA.

Continue to maintain FC at 15 till the CC level is 0.5 or lower for 36 hours.

We actually changed the sand early this morning. We bought liquid CYA (expensive!) but decided to just go for it. We bought 2 gallons of Instant Conditioner. Each bottle says monosodium cyanurate monochydrate = 35%. It says for pool startup that 1 gallon will up it to 32 ppm for each 10,000 gallons and we have 20,000 gallons. So I am assuming we would add both. Should we add it to the skimmer with water on recirculate for about 10 minutes, or leave filter in filter mode? Is there a better way to add it?

What is it that lowers the CC level?

Thanks, Jason!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another update: Just got back from the pool store, bought 10 bags (40 lbs each) of their "fast dissolving" salt. So while I was there, I had them test the water:

FC 8.0
CC 1.0
PH 7.6
TA 100

Here are my questions:

1. Should we wait till early this evening to add more chlorine and the CYA since it's very sunny out right now?

2. Can we add the salt tonight, or should we wait still? If we do add the salt, when should we turn on the SWG?

3. We're getting twirlies from the trees and other floatie type stuff so is it okay to start using the solar cover now, or is it better to continue keeping it uncovered?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate all the help! I'm already loving the pool :)

You can add the salt any time. Do not turn the SWG on until at least 24 hours after adding salt.

If you haven't already added it, I would add the liquid conditioner by pouring it slowly in front of a return jet.

Some CC can be destroyed by chlorine alone and some requires chlorine and sunlight together.

Wait till this evening to add chlorine. CYA can be added anytime.

Do not use the solar cover during the day until the CC level comes down. Also, do not use the solar cover until at least an hour after you add CYA.

Thanks, Jason. We just added the CYA like you said. Then we're going to add the salt and wait the 24 hours to turn on the SWG. I just did a test and FC is 7.5 (it was 8.0 earlier today) and CC is 1.0. Will add the chlorine a little bit later to 15 FC.

Thanks so much!!! I need all the help I can get. This is nerve racking but every time I look at the pool, I am soooooo happy we did the conversion!

mickey4paws said:
We actually changed the sand early this morning. We bought liquid CYA (expensive!) but decided to just go for it. We bought 2 gallons of Instant Conditioner. Each bottle says monosodium cyanurate monochydrate = 35%. It says for pool startup that 1 gallon will up it to 32 ppm for each 10,000 gallons and we have 20,000 gallons. So I am assuming we would add both. Should we add it to the skimmer with water on recirculate for about 10 minutes, or leave filter in filter mode? Is there a better way to add it?

What is it that lowers the CC level?

Thanks, Jason!

If I'm understanding you correctly, your 2 gallons will give you a CYA of about 30ppm, that's not enough to operate your SWG yet- you want the CYA level to be 70-80 for a SWG.

Glad to hear your conversion is moving along so well. :goodjob:

Thanks, Frustratedpoolmom! Yeah, we figured that out last night, after the pool store was closed :( So I am going to stop there on my way to work and pick up some more CYA.

Did a reading this morning:

FC 15
CC 1.0

Any suggestions? I was thinking to turn on the SWG tonight, or should we wait until the FC comes down a bit?

You don't want to raise the CYA level too high until the CC level has fallen further, or you will need to raise your FC level substantially. You are getting close, another day or two and most likely the CC level will be down.

You can turn on the SWG if you want and it will reduce the amount of bleach you need to add, but you will still need to add some bleach manually to maintain shock level as long as the CYA level is low.

I was wrong about the CYA. My husband actually bought more (enough to raise to 60). I stopped at the pool store on my way to work to get a reading this morning. The pool store's test says the CYA is 50 right now.

Interesting part: I asked him to do a high chlorine test. He came up with 27 FC. I had tested 1.5 hours earlier and tested at 15 FC. Thinking back on it now, he was using a larger amount of water to test with (not the 10 ml I use in the TF100 test). He was using Leslie's Taylor 2006, I believe. So I'm thinking if he put in that much water, no wonder it came up 27 FC. Then of course he says I can buy some chlorine neutralizer to bring down the chlorine level :x I said no, that I'd wait.

Salt reading was at 3,000 ppm and he said not to add salt yet, but to let it circulate for another day.

I won't be able to add more chlorine till I get home from work around 5:30. I'll test it first though. So let's say it were only 7 or 8 FC, would I still want to bring to 20, or only if it's still at 15 FC?

Yeah, I don't trust the pool store's tests. They do the tests in a big hurry too. When I first got my TF100, I thought it would be really hard, but so far, it's not so bad and I think it's kinda fun, like having a big chemistry set :) I haven't used anything but the FAS/DPD test so far, and hope the other tests are just as easy to use. I'm really glad I bought the TF100 instead of something at the pool store.

Thanks again, Jason!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.