How the heck do you figure this out?

Hey Everyone, Thanks before hand for the help.

I just bought a house with 24 foot round 4 foot deep above ground pool. The liner was ripped and the filter was left outside over many winters and pretty much destroyed.

so with that said I got a lot on my hands here to repair.

I'm trying to figure out what size filter I need but I have no idea how to calculate that. I had one suppler tell me I needed a 120 sqft cartridge system with 1-1/2 HP pump.

Does that sound right?
I'm so new to all of this and the calculations on other website don't make sense to me or don't match up.

Thanks,
Jimi

Welcome to TFP :)

It is all relative :) I oversized mine so I would not have to clean the filter as much, if you go with a sand filter get the biggest one you can afford.. I have a 320 Sq Ft cart filter, for almost the same amount of water 14000 gallons..

For ease of use I would recommend a sand filter and a 1hp above ground pump, 2 speed if you have a choice The 2 below would work good for you and you could always go bigger on the sand filter if you wanted.. If a cartridge filter the bigger the better, I have a 100 sq ft filter on my 700 gallon hot tub :)

Amazon.com : Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Hayward S244T ProSeries 24 Garden
Amazon.com : Pentair 160340 Clean Garden

I hope this helps :)

Don't overthink it. Cowboycasey is on the money with a 1 hp AG pump. I can narrow down that sand filter a bit for you, too. A sand filter that matches well with that pump AND that pool should be about 50-70 gpm. That gpm rating is published on almost every sand filter.

The only thing I would add is to look at the water quality for your fill water. If you have any kind of water use restrictions a cartridge filter will waste less water. Also if you have well water with a high iron content or very hard water with a high calcium content you may want to go with a cartridge filter since cleaning them doesn't use water from the pool. Fill water with high iron or calcium needs to stay in balance to prevent potential problems and using gallons of pool water to backwash your sand filter would require extra diligence to treat the water when you top off the pool. If you have high iron you will need to add sequestrant periodically, especially when you top off the pool. With high calcium levels you need to keep an eye on the pH.

Neither of these issues are difficult to correct as long as you are aware when these conditions exist and treat the water accordingly.

The larger the filter, any type of filter, the less frequently you will have to clean it. 1 1/2 hp is too much pump for your pool. 1hp or 1hp 2 speed will work just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.