New filter/pump question

Jun 7, 2016
Morristown, NJ
I have a 24 foot above ground round, and have used Hayward Xstream 1.5 horsepower cartridge/pump for about 8 years now. Based on what I've read, I think I was talked into buying a system for a much larger pool than I have. The filter is in bad shape, and I need to replace it. Do you think the Intex Krysal Clear 2500 GPH cartridge filter pump would be sufficient? I'm a little concerned about not having a powerful enough pump, but I also don't want to go overboard, either. This may the last year for our pool, so I want to keep using a cartridge filter, rather than learning how to use a sand or DE system. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

First, I would suggest adding information about your pool and related equipment in your signature - with regard to this question, the total pool water volume would be especially helpful. By doing this, it will automatically appear in all your posts so you do not have to re-enter it each time. If you have a SWG, please include those letters in your signature so it stands out as the advice for SWG vs. non-SWG is often different. Here's how to do this: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Given a 24' round pool and (assuming) it is 4' deep, you're looking at about 13,500 gallons of water volume, it seems that a 1.5 HP pump is way more than you need for your pool. I have that size pump on a 26,000 + gallon pool with an attached spa, plus it runs a Polaris 360 pressure-side cleaner. Pool builders and pump dealers tend to steer customers to pumps that are larger than they need. Bigger is not necessarily better when it comes to pool pumps. Based on the info you provided, the Intex Krysal Clear 2500 GPH should work well for your pool. Plus this allows you to continue using a cartridge filter which is similar to your current setup - an important point since you stated that this may be the last year for your pool.

Whenever you get a new pump and/or filter, you may need to adjust the run time (either up or down) compared to your previous equipment. I would suggest using this process to help determine the proper run time: Determine Pump Run Time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.