LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm having a bit of difficulty controlling algae in my pool and it has been suggested that poorly circulated water in my 12 x 24 Intex Ultra Frame Pool could be part of the problem. Currently running the stock 1/2 HP pump and 12" Sand Filter (Pump Rated @ 2100 flow rate/Actual Flow Rate 1600 gph)It has been suggested that a higher HP pump and larger sand filter may help. Also, a suggestion was made to add a second return. I've looked at a couple posts, but am unclear where to place the new return. The dead spot, as far as circulation is concerned, is to the left of the original return. The original return is just to the left of center on the 24' side of the pool about 12 inches below the waterline. (See Attached image)I assume the second return should go towards the dead spot on the same side of the pool as the current return is located. (Which would be to the left of the current return. See attached image) But, how far down should it go or is it not that important? Any suggestions?Hope this makes a little sense anyway...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 118
I did mine at the same height as the original one, thought it looked better. I dont think it makes much difference circulation wise. Just make sure you point both return jets to the left and down towards the bottom. Then you create a clockwise circulation around the pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 112
If it were me, I'd do some other upgrades before adding a 2nd return.

#1 a skimmer - that will keep your pool much cleaner, less algae
#2 a bigger pump. That pump is really undersized for that pool.

Not 100% sure, but I think you'd get more bang out of those upgrades.

Thanks for the input...

I have an over the wall Intex skimmer now. But you think a through the wall skimmer will work better and more efficiently and may increase flow?

I'm currently running the stock 1/2 HP pump and 12" Sand filter (2100 Flow Rated Pump/ Actually 1600 GPH). Do you think an upgrade to a 3/4 HP pump and larger sand filter would be enough, or should I go all the way to a 1 HP pump and larger still sand filter? Do you believe a larger pump and sand filter will help with water circulation and dead spots I may have?

Oh, I just read your signature, you have the same size Ultra Frame as we have with a larger pump, I think 3/4 HP? And you have a through the wall skimmer as well?

Last edited:
I'm not sure the HP, but that's probably right. It's sold as a 3,000 GPH but system only pushes 2450? It's a big step up from the one you have which I thought was a tad underpowered for this pool. I really don't see any need for a 1HP pump for this pool but it wouldn't hurt.
I had the Intex skimmer at first and it was very unreliable and would pop off the side and make my pump suck air, etc. I hated it. The best upgrade I've done is the thru-wall skimmer. It cleans the pool much better and is 100% reliable.
But then again if the Intex works for you (it does seem to work for some people) then there's no reason to change.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.