Newbie Need Some Help

May 15, 2009
Kentucky
Ok first let me say I wish I new about this site a few years ago I have spent a lot of money over the past 6 years having a local PB opening and closing my pool. Last season I had enough and decided to close my pool by myself since my local PB charged me $700 just to open my pool. I found another pool chemical retailer on-line and ordered there closing kit which basically was 5 bags of "shock" and 1 large bottle of algaecide. I found this site last week and after reading I ordered a TF-100 test kit and I'm excited about using the BBB method. I pulled my pool cover today and did my first set of test using the TF-100 here are my results. I'm a little concerned about some of my low readings especially the pH being below 6.8 when I did the test the color was a yellowish color. I have a few questions first my water is fairly clear but there is some dirt on the bottom should I vacuum this out on waste before adding any chemicals do I need to use Clarifier to clear up the cloudyness? Second should I get my pH and TA up before I add bleach? Any suggestions or hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Date 5/19
FC = .5
CC = 0
TC = .5
pH = <6.8
T/A = 10
CH = 50
CYA = 30
Temp = ? Cold

I can start:

First go to http://www.poolcalulator.com

enter your numbers

At the bottom look at suggested goal levels and pick you chlorine delivery method.

I would suggest you raise your

TA to 70
PH to 7.5

As far as the dirt in the bottom, how much is there? I typically avoid vacuuming to waste because it takes so much water. I prefer using a leaf rake to get most of it out, then using my cleaner/filter to get the rest.

Add your filter type to your sig also.

Welcome to TFP!

You should circulate your water for at least an hour before testing. If you forgot to do that you should circulate the water and test again before adjusting any of your levels. The rest of this assumes you circulated before testing.

You want to get your PH and TA up into the normal range before shocking. You can do that using either soda ash, or a combination of baking soda and borax. Either way, take it in steps and circulate for an hour and test again before proceeding.

Once the TA is 70 or higher and PH is at least 7.2, you can shock the pool. Remember to ignore the PH reading when the FC level is above 10.

Any vacuuming you can do is a great idea. If it is a light dusting of debris you can do it while on filter. If there is a significant layer of debris it might be better to vacuum to waste.

I would skip the clarifier. It is unlikely to do anything.

Thanks for the quick responses I just turned on my filter and will let it ciruclate for an hour or so and retest before I go buy my chemicals. however I have one question I must not be using the pool calculator correctly I enter 30,000 gal as my pool size and entered my current levels with goals that were already there when I open the page. I'm not getting any suggestions except on the pH section it suggest adding 391 oz of muriatic acid, but I thought from my reading in pool school that muriatic acid
lowered pH with my pH being below 6.8 I thought I would want to rasie my pH by adding baking soda? Is there something I'm missing on the calculator app? By the way I have a Hayword sand filter and I updated my sig thanks for pointing that out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.