What do you use to clean your cell?

Jul 10, 2013
Northern Howell, NJ
Diluted muriatic acid I guess is the cheapest. But is it the safest? Cells are expensive and I would rather spend a little more to do it right and safe as opposed to doing it cheap and possibly causing damage.

Is this stuff a complete waste of money?

Amazon.com : BioGuard SaltScapes - Cell Cleaner : Patio, Lawn Garden

71TtDO74HoL._SL1500_.jpg

I am starting season 5 with my SWG and I have never had to clean my cell. Every time I check it is clean and I never get the clean cell light. I believe the reason is because I work pretty diligently to keep my CSI between 0 and -0.3 to prevent scaling in the pool. I think this also works well to prevent scaling in the cell. Our water has a strong tendency to scale, everything in the house has scale build up, coffee pot, shower head, etc.

It is best to spray the cell clean with water if you can and second best is to scrape it with a wooden object. The coatings are sensitive to scraping, hence use a wooden object to prevent scraping off the coating on the plates.

If those don't clean it enough, then water and acid are used. If the scaling is light you could try a 10:1 ratio of water to acid. The strongest ratio that should ever be used is 4:1.

I wouldn't bother with a pool product to clean the cell as it is most likely far cheaper to mix your own cleaning solution. You also know exactly what you are using to clean the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.