New to TFP and Pool Ownership

May 17, 2016
Marion, NY
Hi all.

I’m new to TFP, and soon to be new to pool ownership.

Really brief background, when I was 12, my parents put in a very cheap AGP with full wrap deck. Two years later, one side caved in, and upon replacement, the new pool had a different number of sides than the original, so we discarded the entire pool and deck, then started over. Despite a lot of work and several water quality issues, this pool lasted about 10 years until my parents sold the house and moved out to the lake (no need for a pool). Fast forward 20 years, I now have a 4 year old daughter who loves “swimming” in our 7x7’ hot tub. Having only my previous experiences, I’ve been dragging my feet on installing a pool, but have finally been overruled!

My initial search started with how inexpensive can I go with an inground pool. The quotes I received were still too high to justify with a 3-4 month season, and I wasn’t happy with what we would end up with quality wise. I shifted my focus from an inexpensive IGP, to how much can I deck out an AGP. In this vein, I’ve settled on a Radiant Metric, with all the bells and whistles. We’re looking at installing a 24’ round Metric, with walk in steps and SWCG system; partial deck, partial stone surround; pool shed for mechanicals, storage, and a bar/sitting area; and finally a patio with large fire pit. I have lot’s of questions, but I’ll outline them in a separate post. Thanks.

Jon

Hmm, I may have jumped the gun, i just posted two postings (one in the AG section, one in the SWCG section). I'll pull them in here instead - can they be deleted from the other two sections? Thanks.

mod note: I deleted your other two posts and moved one response to this thread
pooldv

- - - Updated - - -

Pulling my two posts back in here:

We have a cottage about 3 hours away, and as such, we're away 1 or 2 weekends a month for 2-3 days at a time. In addition, my brother in law had a large in-ground with a SWC system and we really liked it. Just googling around, I am interested in the Haward AquaTrol - but I know it's recommended up to 18K. Is this enough headroom over my 14K gallon pool, or should I go bigger?

Any other recommendations on a SWCG system? Also, anyone with a Radiant pool and a SWCG that can comment on any issues they have had? Thanks!

Second question pulled in:

Wanted to see if anyone has any advice on these Radiant pools. One of the specific feedback’s I’m looking for is on the walk in steps. We have a 5 year old who is very short given her age, and my feeling is the steps would be nice for her to play/sit/launch from for years to come until she can touch the bottom. I also admittedly just love the way they look – they really give it an “in-ground feel”. Just looking for any feedback on them – am especially interested to hear how people winterize with the steps? The PB told me to order an oversized cover (30’ for my 24’ pool) to wrap over the steps. I’m still concerned with it not fitting right as we are in the middle of a 45 acre field, and the winds rip through all winter.

Another question I have for anyone who has built a Radiant is how they connected bonding wire to the pool? The PB told me to use “zip screws” (assuming self-tapping) to screw into the spline extrusions at the 4 points around the pool. Just curious to see how others have done it.

Any other recommendations/comments/warnings/etc on Radiant pools would be very welcome. Thanks!

Re: Looking to build a Radiant Metric Pool

We are just finishing install of 16x32 Radiant Metric AGP (no bury). We have deck at top-of-coping height and Model Step-1 into the pool. We will remove the steps to winterize because they contain water. Radiant's walk-in steps are covered with the liner, so they just stay in place forever (ignore them when winterizing). Putting up the walls is easy as long as your site is level (I did it alone). Installing liner is a bit of a pain, but I did that alone, too.'

We have no special bonding; have we missed something? Neither city code nor Radiant instructions mention bonding; wall panels are all interconnected with aluminum. Pump motor is grounded with ground rod. Nearest power outlet is GFCI and six feet away.

Follow link in sig to see pics.

Thank you for your reply. Radiant has two different types of built-in steps. The one you are referencing is their inside steps. The PB did not recommenced these, said he has had issues with the liner not fitting correctly over them, and with them shifting position.

The second option is their walk in steps which are molded thermoplastic and replace a wall panel. These are the ones I'm looking at, but still unsure the proper way to winterize with them.

As for bonding, pretty sure it's a national code, but I'll let others chime in as I'm just learning about it.

Thanks again.

Afternoon Gents,

The walk-in thermoplastic steps don't require any additional winterizing procedures, you'll just lower the water level approximately 12" from standard level (or approximately below the return fitting). In terms of covers, if you go with the aboveground coping (either 2" or 4"), you can get a custom beaded winter cover with a step flap. The step flap itself isn't beaded but is oversized for the step location, and held in place with sandbags / water bags (although I've seen a resourceful dealer insert grommets into a step flap and anchor to the deck in one situation).

In terms of bonding, best place to anchor a bonding wire would be the bolts that run through the anchor plates at the bottom of the wall panel (the aluminum plates that bridge the joint from panel to panel). In an Oval or Freeform, anchoring a bonding lug to the A-frame is also acceptable. It should be mentioned that while our pool kit does have full electrical continuity due to the spline connection, the current NEC calls for a, and I quote: "bolted or welded connection". Thus, by installing those bolts through the anchor plates, we meet code. It will vary depending on municipality, but most locations call to hit the pool structure in at least four places, relatively equidistant from each other.

Shoot me a PM if you've got any further questions on a specific installation. As I'm involved with the manufacturer, I can answer general product questions in a public forum, but questions regarding a specific installation should be directed through PM. The mods run a tight ship in this forum (one of the many great things about this site), and I don't want to step on any toes. Thanks!!