Silly Newbie question-- what do I do with that plug/weight when vacuuming the pool?

Clyde

Jun 6, 2016
Western Connecticut
Hi. Sorry for the silly newbie question. I have two skimmers in my pool-- shallow end and deep end. I think the pool guy showed me that the shallow end skimmer already has one plug/rubber weight in it when you take the basket out. The other hole is free in that skimmer.

I now need to vacuum the pool manually. Do I put the second weight that he gave me in the second hole in the shallow end and connect the vacuum hose to the deep end skimmer, or put the second plug in the deep end skimmer and put the hose in the deep end skimmer?

Also, if I am vacuuming up a bunch of leaves, do those go directly into the basket that is just before the pump since I am bypassing the skimmers? I thought that basket was a "last resort" to catch things before debris gets into the pump? Or is it OK and that is what it's designed for when vacuuming?

Thanks!!

The goal is to maximize suction at the vacuum so you want to completely seal off the skimmer that is not being used. Plug the opening in the unused skimmer then attach your hose to the other skimmer. Leave the skimmer basket in the skimmer you're connecting the hose to to collect the big stuff before it goes into your plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.