Testing Jandy 3HP relay

Jun 7, 2016
Chicago Illinois
I am pretty sure I need a new relay but would like to confirm this before purchasing a new one by testing the relay. The relay appears to be stuck because it is providing power at all times regardless of switch position or timer. I know that the switch should have a 300 ohm resistance however I am not sure where to place my meter to test the OHMS. Can anyone how to test the meter?

Try giving the relay a firm tap with something like the handle of a screwdriver. Sometimes this works to free the stuck contact(s) that have been temporarily "welded" together because of a over current condition. To measure the resistance of the relay coil you attach the ohm meter leads to the relay coil wires. This would be the leads from the relay that attach to your control board. Make sure all power is off to your control center before measuring. You have to remove the relay coil leads from the control board before measuring the coil resistance.

One last thing to verify the relay is bad is to unplug the relay from the control board, which will remove any source of power to the relay coil. If the relay is still stuck on and you have whacked it, then you have no choice but to replace the relay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.