TF-100 will be here on Thursday

StacyTX

Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Leander, Texas
Meantime, I've been muddling through with this for 3 days now.
f96fbe28c068a86f84887ccb5c141f57.jpg

CYA is high for sure but this kit makes it a little hard to tell exactly how high.

9cdf4c367b29e8e6dd55f682ac57ef57.jpg

I think it's between 100 and 150 - but maybe it's even higher.

My question is this - can I mix clean water and pool water 1:1 and test that solution to get a more accurate CYA reading? (I realize I'll need to double the result. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No Stacy, it won't work. Not because of the dilution method itself (we do that from time to time), but because the strips themselves just aren't accurate. You'd be wasting your time. Hang in there. You have the best kit available on its way. :)

Now when your TF-100 gets here, if you show a CYA at or over 100, you can do the following:
CYA Dilution Testing:
Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

It is guesswork. It seems like a brilliant, convenient concept, but you'll see how far off those results are once you do your own testing. We have all had that same reaction once we do our own testing for the first time with a "real" test kit. Then we look back at all the time/money we wasted in disbelief. :confused:

Here's my plan for the next two days. Please feel free to tell me if this is the wrong interim solution.

Best guesses for key levels...
CYA - 100+
TC - (a lit the over) 10
FC - about 9

I'll run the vacuum and filter non-stop till my kit comes.

I'm about to go pour a gallon of 8.25% bleach in there (slowly in front of the returns).

The reason I don't want to wait is that I think it is trying to grow algae. It isn't truly green though. It's got a reddish brown cast to it.

Is it overkill to post a pic of it?

I just drew in it with my hand. I'll grab a pic.

Can't hurt throwing the bleach in, especially since you know your CYA is high. And for sure vacuum. That is what my pool has looked like all week. I had run in from all the rain we had, and it was dirty. I would vacuum daily. until you don't get that dirt coming off the brush after the pool has been still for a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. I just read a bunch of "is this algae" posts and I think you are right. I can clear and area just by waving my hand across it under water quickly. The brush isn't even necessary.

The vacuum will run non stop now until it is solved.

And speaking of vacuums, I need to make a new thread.

I dealt with that same or similar dusty looking stuff last year. I was actually finer than what the filter would pick up. You could wave your hand at it and it would 'blow' away. The robot vac helped but the pool would just cloud up after vac'ing.

Ultimately as much as I hated to i adding some flocking to the pool in hopes that it would bind to the particles and aid in filtration.

Only reason I resorted to this was because all of my tests were good. But it took a long time to clear up.

I am still filtering it out. I'm making progress (slowly). I've been running the vacuum all day long.
It started working better when I started taking the collection bag off and instead of just emptying and rinsing it, I'm blasting it with the hose on jet every few hours.

The fine particulate clogs the bag fibers so it wasn't floating up to receive the debris right.

Thank you, Mr Bruce. Ordered and on the way.

I wonder if in the future I could use knee-high nylons like I did on my washing machine hose that drained into the utility tub.

I'm 99% sure they'd stretch enough. Anyone try this?

TF-100 confirmed CYA over 125

So we bought some pumps, set the panel to maintenance mode and drained it. 16,200 of 16,600 gallons took 20 hours.

It's 95% refilled now. CYA is zero everywhere. I have added 512 fl oz of 10% chlorine about a quart at a time over the last 20 hours of refill time.

I will run the complete panel as soon as it reaches level.

I want to know if I should add more liquid chlorine now.

POOL TESTS AT 80% FULL
CYA 0
TC 5
Ph 7.6
TA 160

SPA TESTS full
CYA 0
TC 2
Ph 8.2
TA 190

ef03de3ba1a38e7733f4bd0300d7488d.jpg

Re: TF-100 confirmed CYA over 125

5% of 125 is 5.2, so I would add enough CYA to get to 20 so that you should be about 25 with a little elbow room. FC is fine for now but with no CYA will go away quickly.

Re: TF-100 confirmed CYA over 125

I have some bottles of Shock left by the previous owner, but can I / should I use those to raise CYA?

And since I have nothing running now, would the shock pellets just sit there until we turn it back on?
Would they damage the plaster?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.