TF-100 will be here on Thursday

UPDATE:
TF-100 confirmed CYA of 125+
So we bought some pumps, set the panel to maintenance mode and drained it. 16,200 of 16,600 gallons took 20 hours.

It's 95% refilled now. CYA is zero everywhere. I have added 512 fl oz of 10% chlorine about a quart at a time over the last 20 hours of refill time.

I will run the complete panel as soon as it reaches level.

I want to know if I should add more liquid chlorine now.

POOL TESTS AT 80% FULL
CYA 0
TC 5
Ph 7.6
TA 160

SPA TESTS full
CYA 0
TC 2
Ph 8.2
TA 190

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update,

Pool filter and side pressure cleaner have now been running for almost 8 hours now.

Levels are as follows:
CYA 0
TC 5
FC 4
CC 1
TA 170
CH 225
ph 7.6

Spa is the same except for two levels:
FC 3
CC 2

What do we do now? We have 10% liquid chlorine and several bottles of Shock on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. I hope I didn't make a huge mistake. I knew it needed some CYA and waited as long as I could stay awake, but this answer came in right after I went to bed.

I made my best guess and used a bottle of Shock.

I will retest every level and post them as soon as it is light enough outside

16,600 gallon, freeform, gunite and plaster pool/spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump and Aqualogic panel.

AM Pool test:
CYA <20
TA 160
pH 8.2
CH 225
FC 13.5
CC 1

Leslie opens at 9. I'll go get whatever y'all suggest.

16,600 gallon, freeform, gunite and plaster pool/spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump and Aqualogic panel.

When you say you added a bottle of "shock", what is that?

I wouldn't buy or add anything*. Check FC/CC around lunch if possible. And a good brushing. :)

How's the water look?

FYI you can skip all the tests but FC/CC and CYA until you are finished SLAMming.

*That is unless you don't have a sock of CYA dissolved or dissolving currently. If not, add CYA per the link above.

07ed6fec639c7a1966068c1097f6de9a.jpg

I do not have any sock of CYA. I used Shock because I know it has CYA in it.
I can get liquid CYA when Leslie Pool opens.
I'm going with the liquid because I understand that it's faster.

It's very important to understand how much and what you are adding to your pool. That Clorox product appears to contain di-clor, which does have stabilizer, but do you know how much? If not, how do you know how much more to add?

There is no need to rush, there are no short cuts, take your time and we'll get you there.

And please stop going to Leslies.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am sorry I added the Shock, but I waited 8 hours for a reply here and had to go to bed.
I thought that letting it go another 8 hours with almost nothing in the new water would be the wrong choice.
I guess I was waiting for someone to tell me that I should begin the SLAM process regardless of CYA level.

And why should I be brushing the walls? I brushed them down 10 times as it was draining. The I brushed them and hosed them down with clean water for about an hour once it was empty.

Still more brushing?

PS. the water is very clear.

Happy not to go to Leslie. The guy there is a creep. However, I just moved to Texas three weeks ago. I don't know where else to go for liquid CYA.

I did find liquid chlorine 10% at Wal-Mart ($2.50/gallon on sale). And I have baking soda and Borax.

If the water is clear, then we are just waiting on those CCs to go away. You can try to estimate how much CYA you put in the water using http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html but otherwise testing is the best way to tell.

Brushing does 2 things, it mixes the water very well and exposes algae that have a "shell" that protects them from FC.

Sorry to be so thick, but I did use the calculator to determine how much Shock to put in. It was 15 ounces to get our 16,600 gallons to shock level (10).
But yes it doesn't tell you how muck CYA is in there.
I thought after 8 hours I could measure for it.
Apparently that was wrong.
And I wish I had known that I would have to keep brushing the walls. I did it for hours for the last two days. My back can not go again today.

Maybe it won't matter because we never saw any algae here.

A few things about the shock you added and CYA - Look at the %'age label right under the "S" in "PLUS". I can't quite read them. Tell us what the ingredients says and how much. Hopefully one of them says Cyanuric Acid. Then we can calculate.

But in all honesty, you added a one dose of 16 ozs of that shock. I doubt this is going to have that much of a profound effect (on CYA) unless you keep adding it. What CYA are you shooting for? What is your target goal? Say it is 40ppm. Maybe that one bottle of 16 ozs would add what? 2? 3? 5ppm? For most of us there is that much wiggle room in the subjective "Disappearing Black Dot" Test. So if your target is 40 and you end up with say 45, or even 50, that's not a big deal.

You'll be fine. Go and buy the pure CYA and get in to your targeted "range". If you choose to go liquid CYA, that's fine. Yes it's faster, but there's a monetary expense for that convenience.

In this case, I don't care about the cost. I just want it in there so I have something to measure and determine the SLAM levels I'll need to maintain.

In this case, I don't care about the cost.
I got that impression from reading though this thread. Also, not mentioned but I am questioning for later....

I know this equipment is new to you and you are a little unfamiliar with it. But you say you have an "Aqualogic" panel. But you make no mention if you have a Salt water Generator. It is possible to have the AQL without salt, but generally salt is the main reason builders use that panel. If you do have salt, this will be important to know. Not now but later once you get into "maintenance" mode. It will change the way you do some things. Is there anything in your PVC lines that look something like this:

Turbo-Cell_3.jpg

I'd recommend to just hang 30 ppm of solid CYA in a nylon/sock in front of the return and immediately start Slamming assuming CYA of 30. If you squeeze the sock it will cloud up and distribute through the pool after a few hours. At that point, you don't need to test for it right away. You know it's there because you just added it ;)

MikeMass is right, you probably only added a few ppm, well within the precision of the test. You are ok, this time. Yes, the learning curve can feel steep here but adding chemicals without knowing the affects is what brought us all here. And no need to be sorry - it is truly all right. We have all been nervous and reacted, etc.

Last note - do you need to slam? Get that water circulating and FC up and the CC's may go away. You should at least to an OCLT. That will tell you if you need to SLAM or not. Beautiful pool/spa by the way! Great job so far.

I am so sorry. Perhaps my .sig is not showing? Or maybe my updating it in tapatalk only works for other tapatalk users?

It is 16,600 Gunite and plaster, freeform pool spa combo. Hayward SP3207EE pump, S310T sand filter, Century 1081 boost pump. It has an inline chlorinator but it is empty.
It had floating pucks when we arrived here. No SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.