Nature 2 system on agp

Butterfly said:
Yep, I agree with Beave. Keep posting in this thread until all is solved. :goodjob:

Also agree that you need to shock your pool and, based on the CYA/Chlorine Chart, 24 is shock level for CYA of 60.

Continue brushing, filtering and shocking until you meet the three criteria that lets you know you are done:

1. You hold FC Loss to 1ppm (or less) FC overnite
2. You test CC .5 or less
3. Water clear and sparkly

Be careful with the overnite test. If you have any discrepancies (as in prior post), redo the test the next nite to verify.

The skimmer socks/screens will catch lots and lots of 'stuff' :wink: I buy mine at WallyWorld.

I use my wives old knee hi stockings...They work great

Thanks I will start shocking and I think I understand what you are saying. One confusing thing is that my FC has not dropped more than 1ppm over night, I have consistantly checked it morning and night. There is definitely a green film on a few spots on the wall. And thanks again for sticking with me through this.

gtrum60 said:
Thanks I will start shocking and I think I understand what you are saying. One confusing thing is that my FC has not dropped more than 1ppm over night, I have consistantly checked it morning and night. There is definitely a green film on a few spots on the wall. And thanks again for sticking with me through this.

This is where things get critical...Now mind you I have never had an algae problem...Knock on Wood...But it is critical to keep the FC at shock levels until you see a less than 1pp FC drop over night and no CC is seen in the second part of the test(less than .5 CC). Once that happens and you are running filter 24/7 your water should be sparkly clear...and then you are done...This could take days...maybe even a week...so be prepared to go out and get more bleach...Liquid Chlorine...I would look for 12.5 percent liquid chlorine...sometime sold as liquid shock, because one bottle (gallon) will raise your FC by 12.5 percent. So if you started at zero FC it would take about two bottles to raise your pool up to shock level. Then I would test at least twice per day...maybe three...depending on the heat and sunshine you are getting...and it wouldn't hurt to shut down your heater if you have some, to cool off the water a little bit...just to make it easier to kill the little buggers ( algae blooms). Then remember to be patient. It may be tempting to go to poolstore and get a quick fix...but this is the way to do it...Then when it is done you want to keep pool between 5 and 7 ppm FC. This will keep it from coming back...Keep me posted on how things are going.

Beave

Do the stockings fit around the skimmer basket?

I take it that since my FC was the same as last night and there weren't any CCs and the third criteria is the sparkling water which it is not---clear but dull. I should shocked until I meet that third criteria. Is that right? Sorry this is upsettting when it isn't exactly like you describe.

I'm having to use the DPD powder everytime. The yellow is too hard for me to distinguish from. Now I know it is too high, but even when it was a 5. I hope I can get it in bigger jars.
Here's to POP.

gtrum60 said:
Do the stockings fit around the skimmer basket?

I take it that since my FC was the same as last night and there weren't any CCs and the third criteria is the sparkling water which it is not---clear but dull. I should shocked until I meet that third criteria. Is that right? Sorry this is upsettting when it isn't exactly like you describe.

I'm having to use the DPD powder everytime. The yellow is too hard for me to distinguish from. Now I know it is too high, but even when it was a 5. I hope I can get it in bigger jars.
Here's to POP.

right now you have gotten your shock up and it has stayed up...I would keep it up another night just to make sure...Keep your filter running and brush the sides again. The cloudiness is all the dead algae and organics...I would put a skimmer sock on to help keep a lot of that stuff from going into the filter. You should put the sock so that it goes inside the skimmer basked then wrap the eleastic around the upper rim and around the upper third of the outside of the skimmer this way it stays in place. So it fits inside and then around the top of the basket. You have met the two most important criteria, not you have to wait for the filter to clear the pool. You will be surprised probably by tomorrow...Can you see the bottom...If you can see the bottom, and it is really just cloudy or as you say dull...The filter has not cleaned the pool completely...monitor your FC for the next 24 hours...if it drops more than 1 FC, bring it up and let the filter clean the pool.

And yes we use the FASDPD kits because none of us really can tell the difference between the yellows on the regular kit...And we are all just to picky to really guess!!!You are almos thter...Give it another day...You'll be swimming by Saturday!

I thought I would write in and give a report. I'm keeping the shock level up another day. Because this morning there was some algae growing on the floor. I shocked because I lost 3ppm overnight --and then brushed. This afternoon I see nothing growing. I realized I made a mistake and didn't get the shock high enough in the beginning. So can algae still grow with the FC at 21ppm? Just surprised to see it this morning. I do get what you are saying about the overnight loss...and so on.

gtrum60 said:
I thought I would write in and give a report. I'm keeping the shock level up another day. Because this morning there was some algae growing on the floor. I shocked because I lost 3ppm overnight --and then brushed. This afternoon I see nothing growing. I realized I made a mistake and didn't get the shock high enough in the beginning. So can algae still grow with the FC at 21ppm? Just surprised to see it this morning. I do get what you are saying about the overnight loss...and so on.

Yes it can...If you have to keep adding chlorine you should...keep it up to 24 ppm FC and that should do the trick...You might be killing some of it...but there may not be enough Free Chlorine to kill it all there for you would see some more growth...Really try to keep up on the FC at 24 for the next day...It seems like you are making some ground.

beave.

Everything looks good this morning. But I had a 2ppm loss so I added more bleach to boost it back up to 24. At what level can you safely get back in the pool? If I remember correctly someone said that the level has to be below 10 before I can start adjusting the PH. If there is a site that gives proper order and amount of time between adding chemicals could you let me know. With well water I'm going to occassionally add some metal remover, and every year I have a phosphate problem. I had it tested two days ago and It was 100ppm. I don't think that is a problem right now--just want to keep it under control.

Looking back I don't think we have gone two weeks without an algae outbreak. I realize now that I probably never totally got rid of it. Thanks again for the support.

gtrum60 said:
Everything looks good this morning. But I had a 2ppm loss so I added more bleach to boost it back up to 24. At what level can you safely get back in the pool? If I remember correctly someone said that the level has to be below 10 before I can start adjusting the PH. If there is a site that gives proper order and amount of time between adding chemicals could you let me know. With well water I'm going to occassionally add some metal remover, and every year I have a phosphate problem. I had it tested two days ago and It was 100ppm. I don't think that is a problem right now--just want to keep it under control.

Looking back I don't think we have gone two weeks without an algae outbreak. I realize now that I probably never totally got rid of it. Thanks again for the support.

Gtrum,
Congratulations :party:
It looks like you got the worst part over. I would keep it at shock until you lose less than 1 ppm FC and you have less than .5 CC's Could you post a full range of test numbers just to see where you are. Even though you report the water is clear...with the drop in FC that you had your pool still has stuff in it that the Chlorine is killing. So keep that shock up to 24 unitl you have a 1ppm FC loss or less. As far as going back in, some people report that they swim in water that is at shock level...most people say wait until it goes below 10 after killing all algae. That is what I recommend. And that way you can get an accurate reading on your pH as well. Keep it up...you are winning the battle...I am glad I could help. :cheers:

I hope this is my final post in this forum. The water looks great other than the pesky stuff on the bottom that keeps returning. I have vaccumed to waste put a sock on and it falls in the same places in the center and seams. But I am not beating myself up over this. I realized that when you live on a farm stuff is going to fall in the pool. The FC holds and the water is crystal clear. The challenge comes this weekend when we are going out of town for four days. I have nobody to tend to the pool. Since my levels look good. CYA 60, PH 7.4, TA 120 I am wanting to put the floater in with Trichlor tabs for the duration. If you don't think this is a good idea please let me know.

I would like to take this time to thank all those people that helped me get here. Poolmom, Mike In Tenn, Cubbybeave for all your support and advice. You have taken out so much of the guess work. And I have a confidence now that I can handle it myself. That is a peace of mind I have never had. Thanks so very much.

Tammy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your welcome Tammy, and I know you are going to enjoy your Trouble Free Pool all summer! :goodjob:

Now, about that vacation. If you can cover your pool, you will be fine to just shock the pool and cover it. I shocked June 4 to FC 16, left town for 10 days, and came home to a FC of 8. No floater. :wink:

Since your CYA is already 60, I wouldn't use tabs in a floater if you can avoid it. If you can't cover, then I would still shock, and use the floater to help maintain the FC.

Wasn't sure if I should post a new forum or continue even though my pool looks great thanks to ya'll. I was wondering if I'm adding too bleach at night. At a CYA of 60 I have been hitting a target of 9 at night. I will lose up to 3-4ppm during the day. And our pool is so warm 96 degrees, I was told running the fountain at night would cool it better than during the day. If so, how long would the pool need to circulate after the night addition before I could hook up the fountain?

Thanks Tammy

Tammy,
I just got back from a 10 day trip where I shocked up to 16 my shock level at CYA of 40. When I got back last night my pool still had 2.5 ppm of free Chlorine, and 0 CCs. This is what you want to have. I left my solar cover on for the entire time, water temp went from 70 to 82 degrees because we had 10 days where the temp was 85 or better. I would not worry about a floater I did that last year and by the time I got back after 13 days I had no FC. Just take it up to shock level put the solar cover on this will keep your FC from evaporating, and you will be fine. If you have a timer on your pump...I set my pump to run six hours from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm. With the pool cover on you won't have to worry about your skimmer basket getting clogged...anything that falls into the pool will fall on the cover. Take care and have a good trip. And by the way...you are welcome as far as the help goes...I was in your boat last year. The only difference is that Poolmom is just a phone call away...She has been a great help to me and I don't have to post here all the time to get my questions answered...we have been friends for almost 20 years...So when she was on vacation I tried to answer your questions the way she would have told me to fix it. I was glad I could help and I am glad you have a sparkly pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.