Ammonia Test Kit

patrick3229

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 2, 2012
We have a customer that thinks they may have ammonia in their pool water due to spraying of crops near by. This is what their pool store has told them, but we want to make sure this is accurate, can anyone suggest a test kit for testing for ammonia in pool water?

A pet store should have aquarium ammonia test kit strips

I am using my phone so please excuse any spelling errors and short response. :)

PoolDV Yes those are donkeys in my avatar we have two mini's they are awesome and do a great job mowing the yard :D I tried to view your attachment but it would come up for me, I would love to see them!

Do they like waffles? :D.

LOL! Prolly!

PoolDV Yes those are donkeys in my avatar we have two mini's they are awesome and do a great job mowing the yard :D I tried to view your attachment but it would come up for me, I would love to see them!

Dang that attachment! Nice! We've got 4 yard mowing, heehawing pasture ornaments. We were up to 8! :shock: Had to separate the boys from the girls!

attachment.jpeg

Search Results

Here are some from Pet Smart.

Let us know if they do not have access to a pet store and we have another way to "test" if they have it.

Kim:cat:
Spray from crops sounds pretty far fetched, but there are a lot of other ways to get ammonia.

This is a key test for aquariums, so any place with fish or pet products should have it. I have a kit with the drops. I don't know how well the strips work, but I would look at the scale on any of the tests. I think I had a good low end, but then it jumped like 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0... So if you get one of the higher readings, be prepared for a lot of chlorine just to be able to get a reading.

I just went through this and a good rule of thumb is to multiply your NH3 reading by about 12 and that should give you about how much FC on the calculator you will need before you can start raising FC. So a reading of 2 is approximately 24 FC worth of bleach. I was adding and testing and it came down pretty close to this amount each time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.