Spa: Foaming Problem

May 19, 2009
Im looking to use Chitosan as a control to the foaming problem, i was wondering if anyone has used these sort of products before? OR is there any other chemical recommened for oil & grease removal?

If anyone does have experience w/ Chitosan can you provide some directions of use?

Last but not least does oil absorbent sticks work i.e. scumbag and how effective is it?

Your inserts are much appreciated.

Hi and welcome. I can't help but someone who can will be along shortly.

However, please post a full set of test results for them to give you better advice.

Also, please include your spa/equipment info in your signature... Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Thanks. :)

Enzymes would really be out of the question would be vry expensive to ship into asia, only sources that are locally available to me are as follows:
1. Chitosan Liquid or Powder
2. Oil Absorbent Pads
3. Silicone Base Defoamers

Does increasing Calcium Hardness help that much? And by increasing my calcium lvls how is it going to effect mineral precipitation?

Test Results:
Br: 5.6
pH: 7.8
TA: 100
CAL: 60
TDS: 1274
Temp: 38 C

Chitosan is a clairifier (in fact it's the main ingredient in most 'natural' or 4 in 1 clarifiers) and is the best kind of clarifier to use with a cartridge filter but it will not help with foaming. Foaming is usually a problem of underlying water balance issues. Correct the problem and the foaming will stop. Enzymes can help by getting rid of the organics that tend to cause foaming.
Defoamers are based on silicone compounds (simethicone), that reduce surface tension and cause the bubbles to break but merely cover up the problem.

IF you have an oil slick on the water the two best methods (and they can be used together in bad cases are:
a scumbug or scumball or sunsorb floated in the water (a special oil absorbing 'sponge' that is inexpensive and will last a year or more--check the pool/spa supply and online). Often this will solve the problem for under $10. You just need to rinse it out under the faucet every week or so.

weekly additions of an enzyme product, While enzymes work very well they can be expensive to use. I would try the scumbug first.

Also, increasing the CH, as Jason said, would be your first step. Remember, hard water does not foam as readily as soft water.

In really bad cases you might need both.

Seems like the industy is promoting chitosan as an oil coagulant...? I wonder iv found some write ups saying to dose 5 mg per ltr and allow filter to filter out.

Definately going to dry scumbags, is it advisable to place in skimmer basket? or should i really be floating them instead?

I would love to try enzymes but then shipping in liquid would be exp for me. Does Alum or PAC help or are there any other chemicals that can actualy coagulate oil?

Having four girls around in the house means troble for my spa. Thanks for the tips.
Out of topic: why is chitosan a good clarifier with cartridge filters and what makes it
such a good clarifier in itself?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
aho.lwi said:
Having four girls around in the house means troble for my spa. Thanks for the tips.
Out of topic: why is chitosan a good clarifier with cartridge filters and what makes it
such a good clarifier in itself?
It does not clog up a cart as quickly as the synthetic polymers do. Also if you overdose with a synthetic it can actually cause the water to cloud in such a way that it never clears (becomes a colloidal suspension). There is also evidence that chitosan based clarifiers can help remove some metal ions and other contaminants that normally cannot be filtered out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.