New Vinyl liner!

debsym

Sep 13, 2015
Buda, Texas
A new doughboy vinyl will be installed tomorrow. (we installed a new liner about a year ago but didn't get a doughboy liner and we're already replacing it:(). I ordered a new test kit today. I am asking the installer to change the sand in my sand filter because we had an algae problem that I was never really able to get rid of, another reason for a new liner.

I want to get it right this time right out of the shoot, any guidance or suggestions for best steps to proceed will be appreciated.

New test kit? Does that mean there's an old one around? If it tests pH and hopefully TA, you can get started.

You know that a fresh fill will have zero CYA and so little unstabilized FC (if any) that it'll be gone in a couple hours.
You don't care if the CH is low on a vinyl liner pool, and if it starts out high, there's isn't much you can do about it since the replacement water will be identical.

That leaves pH and TA to deal with. And for those, you need some type of tester.

Get it full of water and circulating and check for leaks. The installer will do that. Hopefully he'll also rinse the sand, but that's another topic. You could ask him to test pH and TA for you. He might have a kit. Ideally, though, you'll do it yourself.

There may be some algae residual in the filter and plumbing, so I'd suggest taking the pool to shock level immediately. Don't worry, it won't stay there for long. You'll be able to swim in it if it's not too cold for you.

So... first thing, add bleach to get to 10 FC
Second, CYA to get to your target. 50 is not bad for Texas. Mess around with the granules and the socks and get that in the pool.
Third, if you have pH and TA readings, and pH is between 7.2 and 7.8 you're good to go. If pH is high or low, plug 'em into poolmath and get the dose to fix it.

Do you know how to use poolmath? Now's the time to speak up. After you added too much of something is too late.

Post back and let us know how it's going. We'll keep that pool from going green on you this year. Check out this thread. Just bought and filled a week ago, You can have this too.

Water source is the Edwards Aquifer, we have a well. I can't find test kit that I purchased from Leslie's so I ordered another one on 6/7...hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Friday. In the meantime I have a test kit that will test pH and chlorine. I would like to get some chlorine and stabilizer in there asap. It still has a good foot to go before it will be full.

There are two ways to check that. Both in Poolmath, link above.

1. Enter your pool gallons at the top. In the CYA Now column enter your current CYA and in the Target column enter your goal. It will tell you how much to add to reach your Target.
2. Scroll down to Effects of adding chemicals, enter the amount and choose your chemical. It will tell you what it will add to the pool. Make sure the gallons is correct at the top.

Thank you so much for responding to my post!! I think that I am well on my way. :)! I added 1 gallon of Stabilizer, 2 gallons of 8% bleach and the chlorine indicator turned orange, also added acid to get the pH back down as it shot up when I added the stabilizer and bleach. I will test the CYA tomorrow to see if I should add more stabilizer. I really, really appreciate your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.