Skimmer Question

mjbarr99

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
We have a new pool and I have some questions regarding the skimmer. It doesn't do a very good job of sucking bugs, pollen or leaves into the basket and there seems to be a film on top of the water when I open the cover in the morning to test the water.

We have a dedicated suction line and I'm using a Zodiac MX-8 cleaner. Due to the location of our equipment pad and our neighbor's bedroom window, I run our pump from 10PM to 6AM at 2000 RPM for filtration. I then run the pump from 8AM to 11AM at 3250 RPM for the MX-8. I set up the main drain and cleaner valves so that the MX-8 had the correct pressure for optimal cleaning. The skimmer valve was set by my PB. The MX-8 stays in the pool during the filtration. Do I need to adjust the skimmer valve to give me more suction and if so, by how much?

Valves.jpg

Overnight or whenever you're not using the cleaner, turn the cleaner valve handle all the way off. It will be vertical. Then turn the main 3 way valve so it's inline with the pipe heading to the pump. That should give you about 80% suction to the skimmer and 20% main drain. If it still doesn't skim, turn that main valve handle (currently at 10:00) to 3:00 and all the pump suction will go to the skimmer.

Just put things back before the Zodiac thing is scheduled to run.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.