Determining Optimal Total Alkalinity then Borates

mgmoore7

Bronze Supporter
May 9, 2015
Land O Lakes, FL
I would like to add Borates but I understand that I need to be sure that TA is correct first. What parameters are used to determine that TA is "optimal" for my pool? Is there something I can read? I understand how to adjust it and its role but not sure I understand when to know it is "optimal".

Thanks

Latest numbers

TC 6
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 80
CYA 60
CH 300
Salt 3600

The goal is to get it low enough to slow PH rise but not too low to make the PH unstable and have it bounce around. The usual way to arrive at that is to lower it by 10 and monitor it for a week or two and repeat until PH doesn't rise so much. That number is usually around 60 in a saltwater pool. Mine is 50 right now and it is holding pretty well.

Keep an eye on your CSI and try to keep it slightly negative, 0 to -0.3. Borate and salt both impact CSI.

Thanks, with a new plaster pool, PH is known to climb naturally anyway. Should this be considered in any way or does the TA help with that as well?

My PH has been climbing slower the last few weeks but still climbing. I know this is not really out of norm for a plaster pool and especially a new one.

A month ago my TA was 40-50, now 80. If I understand this right, maybe I should move it down to 70 and see how ti goes since 60-80 is the recommended range for SWG.

Lower TA will help with that. 40 is nearly always too low and 50 is often too low also. You can drop to 70 and see how it goes or just take it to 60 and add borates now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.