noob question about PoolMath and starting slam

Jun 6, 2016
washington
hi all! spent the past coupple hours reading through all the various articles on here about slamming and water chemisty. i seem to have a solid understanding now enough that i feel comfortable beginning my slam. We just closed on our house and i pulled the cover off the pool 2 days ago, only to find a very green mess. i proceeded to track down and assemble the pump, sand filter and valve. after some backwashing and gasket replacement, i am up and running!. unfortunately, before i found this site i made the crappy mistake of going to the pool store, luckily only spent $45, but still its money that couldve went to bleach. my question is from the calculators ive tried, im somewhere in the 13k-15k gallon range. how much freaking bleach (8.5%) do i add to get to my necessary shock value of 16? CYA is holding between 30-50. have trest kit on order through amazon. should i just pour a single bottle of bleach in per day? or more? the poolmath calcualtor is confusing me right now and i appreciate the help

Assuming a 14,000 gallon pool (good enough to start with) I show 415 ounces to go from 0 ppm to 20 ppm FC. 20 is your shock value based on a CYA of 50. Though I would stick with a plan of adding a gallon a day until your test kit arrives so you can confirm your pH and CYA first.

Welcome and good luck!

Assuming a 14,000 gallon pool (good enough to start with) I show 415 ounces to go from 0 ppm to 20 ppm FC. 20 is your shock value based on a CYA of 50. Though I would stick with a plan of adding a gallon a day until your test kit arrives so you can confirm your pH and CYA first.

Welcome and good luck!
awesome thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

just sucks too because i was really hoping to get this slam started today, ill be out of town all weekend and my test kit wont be here till thursday

Unfortunately, if you started today you would have been working well through the weekend likely. If it is really a green mess, you are looking at several weeks potentially. It's a lot of water, but close to the break point for a full dump and refill. Maybe some others can offer advice for a decision for next week.

decided to atleast check the local pool stores to see if they had the suggested test kits from this site... (theres 3 stores within 15 minutes of us). none of them did. i had one of the worst advice/conversations with a dude at PC. i explained my scenario, he said "oh i dont ever test while shocking, you have algae, jsut do 6 bags of shock now, and if its still green tomorrow, do 6 more bags." i just walked away from him. and for numbers sake...12 bags of shock...thats $54 lmao.

lmao right?!? i used to have a 125g saltwater fish tank. in that hobby i learned quickly that you dont add chems unless you are testing for them first. the same applies to a swimming pool. the fac tthat he said he doesnt mess with test kits, i quit listening to him right then and there. still awaiting the test kit. now im fighting a battle with the sand filter again, had it on bypass just to keep the water circulating, switched it over to filter. made it maybe an hour before the pressure started building up and for some reason sprung a leak right where the valve body meets the sand container. gonna take it apart today and see whats going on. wish there was some way to put a heavier duty o-ring in so it didnt spring leaks unit isnt even that old

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.