How best to bump CYA level

Jul 20, 2015
Houston, TX
With all the rain in Houston, our CYA levels have dropped to 20 or lower. Looking to bump it up to 30. What's the most cost-effective way to boost CYA? I'm not sure whether premixed liquid stabilizer would be a more cost-effective option than powder. If powder is the answer, is it OK to add it by means of a sock suspended in the skimmer? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the granules, they're cheaper. :) That's what I just did a couple days ago to raise mine by 20 ppm.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.