Total Alkalinity Jumping?

Aug 4, 2014
Fuquay Varina, NC
I tested my TA last weekend and noticed that it was at 60. My pH was at 7.5. I thought that I should raise my TA to 70 or 75 so I added the proper amount of baking soda. I added it in 2 days and the amount according to the Pool Math. The last few days, I tested the TA just to see where it was and Thursday it was at 80 and now today it is back to 60. Does it normally fluctuate that amount over the course of the week? Also, my pH did rise to about 7.6 and has stayed there through the different TA jumps. Should I leave it all alone or try to figure out why the TA is jumping so much?

TA normally doesn't hop around too much unless you do a couple things - add acid (lowers it) or add new water (can raise it). Other than that perhaps something in the testing method? If your pH is staying at 7.6, I wouldn't change anything. 7.6 is a nice number for pH. :)

It's probably fine but read in the directions about the static that can develop with the R-009 and using a damp cloth in between drops to eliminate thaqt phenomenon.

I usually say it's gone from a new kit in just a couple of weeks but it is worth trying to see if it helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.