Raising CYA

Philo

Oct 8, 2015
San Diego, Ca.
I run my SWG at 100%. If my FC goes up or down when I check it weekly, I adjust the the time the SWG is running. Currently, it runs at 12 hours per day to maintain 6ppm. My CYA is 60-70 ppm.
Is there a scientific way to predict how much time I could reduce the SWG to maintain the FC levels if I raise the CYA to 80 ppm?

I think it's just trial error to figure out the right mix during "normal" circumstances. Sorry I can't help with a more scientific way to calculate this. I am dealing with the same thing right now. I have posted my results in another thread.

But the problem is what is "normal" circumstances? Some days are sunnier than others. Some days might get rain. Is it a day after 10 kids just swam in pool for 5 hours? Was there a large wind that just dumped a bunch of leaves and organic debris in your pool? Is the pollen content high where you currently are?

Unfortunately all these variables affect chlorine usage day in and day out. Which is why checking your levels on a regular basis in necessary and adjust accordingly.

Just looking at the info in your sig and comparing to my pool, I know every pool is different, but we have about the same volume of water. You have to the ic60 and me the 40. Im currently running at 80% and about 10 hours per day. At the advice of a someone here I changed my timer to run during the middle of the day when my pool get the most sun and I've been holding at FC 6.5 for a few days now. I'm decreasing my timer again in a couple of days and monitoring the FC in an attempt to fine turn my swg timing. I see your pump is 1/2 hp smaller, than mine so perhaps that's a place to start if your goal is to decrease run time. I'm also raising my cya up to the 70-80 ppm range, not there yet but holding FC 6.5. I'm a new 1st time pool owner so take what I say with a grain of salt...just an observation.

quote]=Philo;1047270]I run my SWG at 100%. If my FC goes up or down when I check it weekly, I adjust the the time the SWG is running. Currently, it runs at 12 hours per day to maintain 6ppm. My CYA is 60-70 ppm.
Is there a scientific way to predict how much time I could reduce the SWG to maintain the FC levels if I raise the CYA to 80 ppm?[/QUOTE]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.