First time pool owner

May 18, 2009
I set up an Intex easy set up pool yesterday 15X42 (3,300 gallons). I went to leslie pools and purchased 1 pound of the fast disolving shock treatment & super chlorinator for swimming pools. Once the pool was filled I disolved half the pouch in the pool and ran the filter. This afternoon I went back to Leslie pool with a same and here were the results

FC 7
TAC 7
PH9
TA 20
Calcium Hardness 30
CYA 0
TDS 100
Phosphates 2500

I would like to start the BBB method- what advice do you have for my situation.

Welcome to TFP!

I doubt that your PH is really 9. Perhaps it is 7.9?

You need to get your PH down to around 7.2, then raise your TA up to around 80. You also want to raise CYA to at least 30.

You should also do some reading at Pool School. Getting a good test kit, so you are not dependent on the store for water testing would also be great.

No, phosphates are hardly ever a problem. My phosphate level has been over 4000 for a couple of years and nothing has ever come of it, no algae problems (except when the skimmer got clogged while I was on vacation and the pump shut off, but that would happen to anyone). Phosphates are mostly something pool stores try to scare people about so they can sell expensive chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.