Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner

I set up an Intex easy set up pool yesterday 15X42 (3,300 gallons). I went to leslie pools and purchased 1 pound of the fast disolving shock treatment & super chlorinator for swimming pools. Once the pool was filled I disolved half the pouch in the pool and ran the filter. This afternoon I went back to Leslie pool with a same and here were the results

FC 7
    TAC 7
    PH9
    TA 20
    Calcium Hardness 30
    CYA 0
    TDS 100
    Phosphates 2500

I would like to start the BBB method- what advice do you have for my situation.
    28K gal, free form vinyl, Pentair Intellitouch i9s + 3 automation, IntelliFlo® VF High Performance Pump, Tagelus®, TA 100D w/ 600lbs ECOsmarte Glass pack media, ECOsmarte Turbo w/ CO² pH Control, AquaPro 1100e 109k Heat Pump, IntelliBright pool & Spa LED Lighting.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner

Welcome to TFP!

I doubt that your PH is really 9. Perhaps it is 7.9?

You need to get your PH down to around 7.2, then raise your TA up to around 80. You also want to raise CYA to at least 30.

You should also do some reading at Pool School. Getting a good test kit, so you are not dependent on the store for water testing would also be great.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you concerned about the phosphates at 2500? Tx
    28K gal, free form vinyl, Pentair Intellitouch i9s + 3 automation, IntelliFlo® VF High Performance Pump, Tagelus®, TA 100D w/ 600lbs ECOsmarte Glass pack media, ECOsmarte Turbo w/ CO² pH Control, AquaPro 1100e 109k Heat Pump, IntelliBright pool & Spa LED Lighting.

4. Back To Top    #4

No, phosphates are hardly ever a problem. My phosphate level has been over 4000 for a couple of years and nothing has ever come of it, no algae problems (except when the skimmer got clogged while I was on vacation and the pump shut off, but that would happen to anyone). Phosphates are mostly something pool stores try to scare people about so they can sell expensive chemicals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School