Removing Pump & I Broke Mounting Bolt

Eric K.

Bronze Supporter
Apr 18, 2016
Hilo, HI
I wanted to remove my pump because I wanted to re-thread both the in & out connections (some drips, shorting out my motor. Background: pumping station is on slope below/beside pool; Gravity to pump works even with motor off). Removing pump was only way to unscrew the in, which has a glued 90 on the connection.

In process of removing pump, the anchor bolt broke. :brickwall: Here's a pic of mount and of the system (disregard drips in this old pic...issue resolved last month).

Question(s):

1. Can I just back out the motor, lift the housing off the mount in order to complete my rethread project, and NOT fix broken bolt?
OR
2. Do I need to fix this bolt, hope the 2nd doesn't break, then remove combined housing & motor to complete my rethread? If so, how do I do that...remove and replace broken bolt?

This is my first time on something like this (pipings and broken bolts), so any quick tips would be appreciated. I'm dreading calling the local pump/plumber company.

My FC was at 3.0 at sunset, and my minimum is 2.0, so it is rarity that I'm hoping for big, thick dark clouds tomorrow until I can get pump back on (which has been tripping off immediately all afternoon).

20160605_1854083_zpspse4bfrm.jpg

20160421_0849541_zps54bcuge2.jpg

Re: Removing Pump & I Broke Mounting Bolt

Most pumps are not anchored at all, the plumbing and gravity hold them in place. I would not be too concerned.

You can add bleach and brush the pool well to mix it.

OK, that eases my concerns!! I'll mix the pool up with bleach/brush to give me more time.

RE: re-threading the in/out, will taking the motor off allow me then to life off the pump housing to re-thread??

Looks to me like you can just unfasten the two unions in your plumbing and you can remove the threaded pipes with no need to move the pump at all. I'd just use some pipe dope labeled for plastic pipe on both and then put it back together. Only tighten it until the drips stop.

John. I don't think the length on the inlet side will allow the pipe to unthread. Not enough swing room. I would cut and re-locate the union on the inlet side closer to the elbow to allow for easier removal. Of course, if it were me, I would move the entire pump unit from under the multiport valve as that location looks like trouble to me just waiting to happen.

Thanks all for the tips and observations. However, I think I'm in over my head on this one. I thought it would be straightforward, but, in my attempt to remove pump, I not only broke the bolt but made the drip worse. And, the motor hasn't been operational since Saturday. I probably need to call in someone to do this for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.