Pool builders in North NJ

Jun 5, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forums and still finding my way around so I hope this is the right place for this post. I'm looking to install a pool in Bergen County, NJ, sometime in the near future. I'm flip-flopping between fiberglass and gunite, and have gotten some quotes for both so far. I don't want anything fancy, just a simple rectangular pool in the 35'-40' range for length, so fiberglass seems like a good option. But I am in gunite territory. Decisions, decisions. But one of the big decisions is who to work with, so...

Does anyone have experience with Dell Landscaping or Backyard Oasis/Landscape Dynamix? What about Thomas Flint, Caribbean Blue, or B&B out of Chestnut Ridge? Anyone with recent experience with A&S, specifically their Fairfield office? I met with them and they were SOOOOO much cheaper than everyone else, but I've heard enough horror stories about them to be wary.

Any other recommendations for who I should be talking to or avoiding at all costs?

Thanks so much.

Thanks, @Pooldv! You summed it up perfectly.

My thought is A&S is out of the running but my other concern is I live in a high falutin' neighborhood and some of these other bids seem awfully expensive to me, like I might be getting a hefty markup because of my zip code. And maybe it really is the going rate, but I'd like a few more bids to know for sure. So if anyone has some recommendations of builders, I'd love to hear them! Thank you!

Being in your self-described neighborhood, what you are probably looking for is a simple design of pool but with generally higher quality finishes and equipment. One thing that may be driving down the A&S price is their initial quote being for base everything. Other PB's may be including more commonly used levels of material/allowances that are closer to what you will actually want. I'm not suggesting going with A&S, but just suggesting a possible reason for their difference. I had our local A&S (not in your area) quote along with 4 others. I would not have gone with them for any amount less money due to the feeling I got from the salesperson.

As for gunite vs. fiberglass, much depends on your view of the general aesthetics and the size/shape limitations. Maintenance of either will be similar. Many will say FG is easier to maintain, but in reality, neither are difficult when maintained the correct way. My personal opinion is that even though FG pools can look great, especially with stone/paver coping, I just wanted the look and feel (for my taste) of gunite. It's what I associate with pools I swam in growing up and what I wanted. Many make the FG or Vinyl choice for the same reason.

I have no knowledge of your PB's. My only advice is to prepare your own list of requirements/specs (you can probably come up with 30-50 bullet points and maybe many more) and then give them each a copy as you have them visit and quote. Some will ignore them, some will include your items as options. But it was helpful for making my apples to apples comparison afterwards. What I do suggest is that you decide what type of pool you want before going out to bid - otherwise it will be way more complicated.

Welcome to TFP and to your pool journey!

You make a good point about A&S quoting base everything, @bmoreswim. I'm still trying to get a sense of what's good and bad in terms of equipment, but their sales guy was pushing Kool Deck or concrete over pavers and natural stone, and some other stuff that seemed to be less expensive and/or of lesser quality than what the other guys said they'd use. Though, A&S did give me a quote that included stone and pavers since I feel pretty strongly about wanting that.

We went into this thinking fiberglass was the best option for us, but when the quotes started coming in well over 100k for fiberglass, it made me think maybe we should be giving gunite more of a shot. Not that I expect gunite to be any cheaper, but there are a lot more options of builders who do gunite in my area, so it opens up the playing field.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.