DIY acid wash on pebble tec pool?

Rossterman

Jun 5, 2016
Martinez, CA
10 year old pool has to be drained to remove high CYA. While pulling down, I was acid cleaning the spa waterfall into the pool and noticed that the cleaning removed the brown film that is uniformly on the pebble tec and 1/2 wat up the waterline tiles. The color is carribean blue and finish should be grey rather than brown.

Waiting for a price from by local pool company to wash it but another company close by wants $700 (without seeing it to determine how much work it is) which seems way too high as it will be drained and water washed so just need to do a quick rinse and neutralization.

If the other bid comes back in the same price range, I'm considering doing it myself (using proper PPE, respirator, etc. as well as the plaster brite acid additive that thickens and helps with a more consistent application.

What do folks think? Is this something an experienced handyman that has worked around chemical in a refinery his whole life can handle?

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Well, I have never done the acid wash so I am not a really good resource. I think you can do it. You obviously understand the principle and you know the chemistry and you know the techniques involved in dealing with muriatic.

It strikes me that you are not afraid of this AND that you are cautious and understand the care with which it needs to be done.

I certainly encourage you to go for it. If you do, I hope someone will take some pictures. That would be a good thread here on the forum.

Keep us posted.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Well, I have never done the acid wash so I am not a really good resource. I think you can do it. You obviously understand the principle and you know the chemistry and you know the techniques involved in dealing with muriatic.

It strikes me that you are not afraid of this AND that you are cautious and understand the care with which it needs to be done.

I certainly encourage you to go for it. If you do, I hope someone will take some pictures. That would be a good thread here on the forum.

Keep us posted.

If you see some of the utube DIY videos, you will cringe. There's a kid on there using no goggles, gloves, respirator, and BARE FEET! Crazy they arent in the hospital!

To close this thread, i bought all the materials (gloves, acid respirator, tyvec, plaster white & bright) but ended up having my local pool builder do the wash as they cut me a very good price (1/2 the cost). I was kinda on the fence as to just refill it as it didnt seem like much staining was present. In retrospect, im glad i didnt.

As an FYI the two guys were in and out in under 90 minutes and after watching them, I wouldnt hesitate to do it myself next time.

I was blown away and in disbelief on how much dirt and discoloration the acid wash removed! The pebble tec looks better then the day it was installed (I remember now that 10 years ago there were some blotchy areas when first installed the pebble tec that never went away and me thinking they should have acid washed it again). Everything is uniform and really pops! A few rust stains on the bottom are gone as well.

What really surprised me is areas that seemed the pebble color was washed out (steps) from me dumping straight bleach into the water on them now have the full color of the pebbles again. I'll try to throw up some pics in the morning but very impressed with how much it improved the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.