Idea on water clearing

May 25, 2016
Coventry, CT
So the pool water has been cloudy for the last week or two. Water chemistry seems to be good.

FC 3
TC 3
TA 150
PH 7.2 (Was 7.6 with a TA of 190...just lowered hoping to clear cloudiness )
CH 200
CYA 15

I tried putting in the cellulose product from Leslies to boost my filter performance 2 weeks ago. I had a large issue with Metals at the beginning of the season and there was a lot of rusty water coming out of the filter after my first shocking. Was supposed to be the same stuff as "sparkle up" and would catch a much smaller micron

The filter is randomly puffing Orange plumes back into the pool when I turn it to high or if I lose prime when I'm vacuuming. I tried using skimmer socks and have been catching orangey stuff that seems the consistency of cellulose.

At this point, I am assuming that the cellulose caught some of the iron in the filter and has since been blown into the pool. I have no idea how this happened I've been backwashing a lot more than I should ever have to.

Pool builder is going to take a look at the filter tomorrow, I talked to Hayward they have no ideas.

My thought is this shock tomorrow am, turn the filter off tomorrow night to let everything settle. Though i shocked last week to no avail and am still terrified of shocking after the pool turned black from manganese the first time.

New robotic cleaner is supposed to be here on Tuesday, use that to vacuum anything heavy that is settled to the bottom. Included are pictures of the water and the skimmer socks.

Any thoughts/ideas are much appreciated!

Should I just try turning the filter off for a bit? It's been running for 2 weeks straight. I didn't have the robot before and am thinking maybe some settling might be a good thing.
f3915787f1b4cd24bf5b4f0c55420841.jpg
392ab93ade6f3d0cf0220bf82a696ba6.jpg
0bb1bf37a0379b0ae7356618be31b398.jpg

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter with 2 speed pump

Cellulose is very fine and sometimes it blows back out of the filter. My old DE filter did the same thing when I switched the pump to high speed (1hp). It would blow a plume of DE or cellulose for a few seconds at when started. Try backwashing the filter to remove the cellulose and turn off the pump overnight to let the cellulose in the pool settle to the floor and then vacuum slowly as so not to disturb the cellulose layer on the floor.

Yup, from a well, but through a filter that was *supposed* to catch metals. Filter is catching it, not really raising psi and then blowing back into to pool. Loving the skimmer socks right now :)

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter with 2 speed pump

There is no mechanical method of removing soluble iron. You will be dealing with it in one form or another because of your source water.

You will need some sequestrant very soon and then you will need to "boost" that sequestrant every couple of weeks.....that'll keep the metal invisible but it will always be in your pool. manageable, but still there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been reading more about what this stuff is and now thinking it is just POLLEN after I just cleaned this off my table on the deck. I don't think it is cellulose any more :)

7119e8ba0d442332350078b91679a62c.jpg

24' Round Radiant partially in ground pool. Hayward sand filter S166T with 1.5 hp 2 speed Variflo pump

For the skimmers, you may find that hair nets are easier than the skimmer socks. With the hair nets, you just toss them instead of needing to rinse/clean them. Not the most ecologically friendly I suppose, but very handy.

I am using them during the spring for the heavy pollen season (and many others here use them too). I also have two dogs that are considering whether or not they will be water dogs - in which case they may get used full-time as fur nets to keep my filter cartridges cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Hair-Spun-Bonded-Polypropylene-White/dp/B002XK2FS0?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.