Lost!

wazoo

May 9, 2016
MC KENZIE
I had high cya and drained half or more of my water. Refilled and balanced - have yet to get my chlorine right. I have added 2 gallons of bleach the last two days and I can't even get chlorine to register. Using Taylor k-2006
Help!
BTW pool is sparkly clean and balanced within pH and TA tolerances

Well, it's good your water is clear, so let's keep it that way shall we? How are you testing the FC? Is it with the 25ml sample? If so, try the 10 ml sample as follows:
10 ml sample size, one heaping scoop of powder (should turn Barbie pink right away), then count the drops. Take number of drops and divide by 2. Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

If your sample did not turn pink after adding powder, then you have no chlorine. A pool will use anywhere from 2-4 ppm of FC each day. So depending upon the size of your pool (which you need to add to your signature by the way), you could use-up bleach fairly quickly.

If this doesn't seem to help, you may want to post a full set of test results (to include CYA) so we can analyze everything together.

If you are still showing no chlorine, then you may have something else happening in your water left-over from the winter that's eating that bleach. We may need to get more aggressive. So once you post your next set of results, we'll give you some more instructions on what to do next.

Welcome to TFP!

Raise FC to 10ppm with the pump running, brush and test again in 10 minutes, repeat as needed until FC holds.

Please add your state to your location in your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is often an important factor when we are helping you with your pool. Also, please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you diagnose the problem. More here on adding a signature, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

I recently went through this. I was registering TC and then all of a sudden it went to zero, added about 3 gallons of bleach in less than 24 hours. Under normal circumstances in my 12k gallon pool that would throw my TC off the charts but it kept reading zero. My CYA was about 60.

In any case, I started a SLAM and it started registering in a few hours after getting the TC up to SLAM level to kill whatever it was.

Hi guys,
I am in NW TN....weather is good here right now. sunny and 80's but about to get really hot....90+
Since yesterday I have put 6 gallons of bleach in my pool and still cannot get chlorine to register......what gives?
And let me be more specific......I am using the 10ml sample size and I will put anywhere from 4-6 scoops of the R0870 powder into the vial and nothing happens or at best it might have a slight tinge of pink if held just right.....which to me says no chlorine or so little chlorine that it might as well be none.
Just to give you an idea - this morning when I went to rinse the comparator tube after having put 4 scoops of powder in with no color change I rinsed with tap water and it turned immediately a very dark pink. Which tells me my tapwater has much more chlorine in it than my pool which can't be good right?
So according to the SLAM chart I need to raise my chlorine to 16 but if 6 gallons of bleach dont't even register how will I ever get it that high?
Also - just as a sidenote my pool is clear and clean.....although PH may be a touch low at 7.0......speaking of which what do I use to raise that?

Since we expect you will perform a SLAM, I would not raise the pH from 7.0 at this time. It will be fine for now. Yes, local tap water has a small amount of chlorine, so at least you know what the powder should look like when it turns pink. As for the powder, only ONE heaping scoop. Adding that much more is just a waste to you and we don't want that. No reaction or pink means your FC is getting chewed-up FAST by the sun and/or organics in the water. You will need to stick by the pool for the better part of a day to test every 10 minutes, increase FC back to 10, and re-test over & over. That's the only way. You could dump 20 gallons in there and it won't work as designed if you can't sustain it evenly and consistently. So that is definitely key. 10 ML sample is good to use. So continue to use a 10 ml sample, one heaping scoop of powder, count number of drops until clear and divide by 2. Example: 14 drops = FC of 7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very difficult to say. I'm estimating your pool to be about 23,500 gallons. To raise FC from zero to 10 takes 2 gallons and 3 quarts worth of 8.25% bleach. So almost 3 gallons initially, then if that drops quickly in 10 minutes, another 3 gallons, etc etc ..... until FC starts to hold at 10. Initially you could find yourself using 15-20 gallons easily in the beginning. When you start though, you must stay close and re-test and adjust FC every 10 minutes.

You'll continue to maintain your FC SLAM level as long as it takes until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria on the SLAM page (link below). Test the FC frequently at first to ensure the FC holds steady and fight's-off the initial surge of organics in the water. The first couple hours are critical. Make sure to follow all the directions on the SLAM page and do your best to "maintain" that SLAM FC throughout the day and night before you hit the bed. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.