Losing chlorine each day, is CYA too low?

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
PB turned the pool over to me 2-3 weeks ago. At the time CYA was 90 and I was burning off 3-4 PPM of Chlorine each day. I had the Chlorinator turned way low and was adding bleach to compensate for the loss in chlorine.
As soon as the PB left, I took the Trichlor tablets out of the feeder and have been using 10% bleach daily as the only source of chlorine since.
We've had several big rain events over that time, totaling more than 24" of rain. Throughout, I have continued to test and add chlorine and MA as needed, but I've also noticed a lowering of CYA, which I assumed was Due to so much rain.
Lately I've noticed bigger losses in chlorine than before (5-6PPM/day loss) and when I checked CYA today, I'm reading only 40 PPM (really, just over 30, but am rounding up).

Is my CYA too low? My rectangular pool runs east-west and gets full sun all day (when it's not raining)
I was thinking of adding a Trichlor tablet or two back to the feeder to supplement the bleach and add some more CYA back. Is this ok to do? What CYA level should I target?

I run my CYA at about 60 due to full sun this time of year. So you certainly can increase it if needed. The key here before you increase CYA is to be absolutely sure the excessive FC loss is to the sun and not algae. So if you have any doubt or concerns about that, increase your FC to about 6-7 tonight and do an overnight (OCLT) test. As long as you don't lose more than 1ppm overnight, then you can increase the CYA to 50, maybe even 60. My CYA dropped to 40 from all the rain this past week or so, so I just added a bunch back myself yesterday. Just make sure to rule-out algae first, then go for it.

Ok thanks, I will try the OCLT.
The water is clear, with the following test readings...
FC 9 (after adding bleach)
CC 0
CH 250
TA 90
PH. 7.5 ( after adding MA)
CYA 40 (actual level was just a smudge over 30)

So for the OCLT, just check FC at night before going to bed and then again first thing in the morning?

That's correct. Make sure your water is mixed well about 30 min prior to testing tonight if your system normally shuts-off at night. Then make sure to turn it back on and mix well about 30 min prior to testing again in the morning. Or, just let your pump run on low all night for the test. Make sure to grab a water sample in the morning before the sun hits the water. Good luck!

Quick update: I tested the FC at 10:30 Sunday night and again at 6:30 Monday morning.
I dropped 1ppm, so I guess I'm good.
So if I want to use the trichlor pucks to raise my cya a bit, whats the best way to do that?
I can put some in the feeder and just monitor how fast cya goes up, pulling the pucks out when it gets to 50 or 60?

Quick update: I tested the FC at 10:30 Sunday night and again at 6:30 Monday morning.
I dropped 1ppm, so I guess I'm good.
So if I want to use the trichlor pucks to raise my cya a bit, whats the best way to do that?
I can put some in the feeder and just monitor how fast cya goes up, pulling the pucks out when it gets to 50 or 60?

If you go to http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html, at the bottom is a section "Effects of adding chemicals". Plug in your pool volume, and, say 64 ounces of Trichlor (8 x 8oz tablets) to see what the expected CYA increase; you'll get an idea of how many over time you need to reach your target. You'll still need to test, of course, especially if you have significant rain drainage/dilution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.