Is a better PH test needed?

I just researched this. Apparently this kit is the best without spending $100s of dollars. You're probably having a hard time matching the colors, me too!

What you need to do is use more or less drops, or more or less water. I played with this today and found less drops (4) would make the colors match up better.

A better pH test is digital and begins around $100 and needs continual calibration. The pH test in the TF-100 combines practicality with decent precision and a good price.

If you tested for as a profession, a digital tester starts to make sense.

There is a cheap better way. You can buy the acid demand regent ( which costs about three dollars) and add a drop to the ph test of the tft100. The drop will lower the PH and usually the color is much easier to read. I usually add a drop or two until the color turns orange and I can read it as 7.5. I find that a PH of 7.5 is much easier to read. Based on the number of drops that it takes to lower it to 7.5, I can use Pool Math to reverse engineer what my initial PH was. I don't think TFT sells that acid demand regent but they should.

I don't think TFT sells that acid demand regent but they should.
An absolute founding tenant of TFP is to make pool management simple and keep it simple. Over the years we have learned that the pH test, while rudimentary, works. That's it....it works.

If it ain't broke......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.