HP versus cost savings.

G

So is this 1/4 HP reduction = 1/8th (13%) electrical consumption reduction rule true?

I am looking at the Hayward EC50 with the 1 HP Matix filter system for an 18x33 54" deep AGP. I know this filter is oversized for this pool (good, right?) but I think the 1 HP is oversized too. I want to keep electrical consumption to a minimum even though our rates are $.085 per kilowatt.

I was leaning towards the hayward 2-speed 1HP so I could run in low mode. Will this save money?

Or should I just drop to a 3/4 HP on this filter and skip the 2-speed?

Other motor recommendations are appreciated. If there is a reasonably priced, high efficiency model that everyone likes, let me know. :)

Would upsizing to the EC65 be worth it for the larger filter area and flow rates?

Keep in mind that the exact amount of the electrical savings vary somewhat.

Reducing from 1 HP to 3/4 HP will not save anything near 13%. Reducing from 1 HP to 1/4 HP would probably save about 13%. Running a two speed pump on low speed, which is 1/8th the HP, typically saves about 20-25%.

The two speed pump will save much more electricity than the 3/4 HP pump will.

Larger filters are good, get the larger filter if you can.

Several options here. A good place to start to identify how many turns you want/need for your setup, see this link (to determine HP). Or the one in Pool School.

http://www.poolplaza.com/pool-pump-sizing-2.shtml

You just have to do the math to figure out which is cheaper. Here is a good link for power conversions.

http://www.jobsite-generators.com/power ... ators.html

In general, the variable speed and two speed modes you will find are a lot more energy efficient by design, but in return they will cost you a little more upfront for the motor and controllers.

mtbarr64 said:
So is this 1/4 HP reduction = 1/8th (13%) electrical consumption reduction rule true?

I am looking at the Hayward EC50 with the 1 HP Matix filter system for an 18x33 54" deep AGP. I know this filter is oversized for this pool (good, right?) but I think the 1 HP is oversized too. I want to keep electrical consumption to a minimum even though our rates are $.085 per kilowatt.

I was leaning towards the hayward 2-speed 1HP so I could run in low mode. Will this save money?

Or should I just drop to a 3/4 HP on this filter and skip the 2-speed?

Other motor recommendations are appreciated. If there is a reasonably priced, high efficiency model that everyone likes, let me know. :)

Would upsizing to the EC65 be worth it for the larger filter area and flow rates?
First, a rough approximation of energy use for a pump is to equate the braking HP (label HP * service factor) to kilowatts usage. It turns out that the efficiency of most pumps is about the same as the conversion from HP to kw. So a pump with a 1 BHP will use about 1 kw.

A 2-speed pump will always save money over a single speed. Energy use for low speed is about 1/3 of high speed but you will need to run it twice as long for the same turnover so in the end, you will save about 30% on low speed. Still pretty good.

Also, you might be able to find a ¾ HP 2 speed but if not, then I would just go with a 1 HP 2 speed.

Once you pick your pump then you should be able to match the filter to it. A size larger than is required is usually a good idea if for nothing else than to reduce the number of times you need to clean it.

If you are really interested in pump energy use, my signature contains a link to pump efficiency data which compares pumps to each other assuming the same plumbing system.

launboy said:
I think the link above should be added to one of the articles(maybe the "Have you lost your Head?" thread. It seems pretty accurate to me and makes it easy to figure out how to size your pump.
There is lots of good information in that article, in fact nothing they say is wrong exactly, but I don't really agree with what it will lead people to conclude. For a simple pool, without any water features, all but the very largest pools only need a 3/4 HP full rated pump (if you are choosing a single speed pump). That isn't the conclusion most people will draw from that article.

Looking at the hayward EC-75 filter (40 sq ft filtration area). It seems really large for the pools I am looking at, but I like more filter area and slower flow rates for better filtration.

I found the Hayward Super Pump sp2607x102s two-speed to go with that unit. It has a 2.56 gallons/watt efficiency rating (column M) from that PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) spreadsheet.

Thanks for the great information!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.