Hayward H200FDN Natural Gas Heater - Ignition Failure (IF) Code.

tbird2340

Jun 3, 2014
Youngstown, OH
Just opened up my pool.. Filled it up and tried starting up the heater.. I opened both the shutoff valves, one at the heater and the other at the supply line.. Set the temp, heard it fire up, and then I went about my business...

About and hour or so later I notice I don't hear it.. Go over and it has IF code on it.. Unplug it, plug it back in.. It does the same thing.. Appears to run for about 30-60 seconds the initial time and then shuts off.. Tries like 3-4 other times but doesn't run as long those times and then shoots the error..

I get nervous around gas appliances so wanted to get advice before trying anything.. I'm good at following directions, as long as they are specific.. I purchased the heater last year (May 2015).. Have had no issues until now.

From the manual:
MIcEVWv.jpg

Video of issue (didn't record the initial firing where it runs for about 60 seconds). You can hear it click on, hear the gas, and then see smoke / exhaust (??):

Hayward H200FDN - YouTube

Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Hearing the unit fire up and run for a very brief time and then go out and do this a few more times and then display the IF code, it's your flame sensor. It is not sensing that the unit lit.

Was this video done somewhat early in the am maybe when it was cooler and wet outside? Noticed the exhaust and seems like some steam coming from the unit.

I'm no heater expert, but I'm pretty sure it should not be smoking like that. Have you pulled the cover off the back to see if there is any debris drug in by nesting rodents? That is a pretty common problem with heaters.

Thanks for the replies.. The smoke/steam/whatever smells like gas fumes. I remember it doing this last year sometimes too. It did just get done pouring here.

I took the top piece off and the side with the vents and there was nothing there.

a9ec86ab6ae14d4232f76aa65621dad8.jpg

27980b5ffbcbc89722d138ac8c958d77.jpg

I also took out the sensor and it looked completely clean to me:

43cfbbad84758023afbc372ca29ba2bc.jpg

I took another video after doing all that:

Heater Part 2 - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give that flame sensor a good scrubbing with steel wool. It is not as clean as you think it is. The Millivolt current that flows thru it is very small and any tarnish will cause poor conductivity. Don't use sandpaper as the silicons in some paper will insulate it

@ps0303 and @tbird2340 You both saved me a $200 service call and who knows how much more in parts. My 1 year old H200FDN natural gas heater kept tripping my 20V GFCI breaker and shutting down. I finally watched it and it was starting and stopping just as described above. Thanks to the diagram you posted PLUS PHOTOS and the expert troubleshooting by ps0303 - I pulled the flame sensor out and it looked clean. Didn't have steel wool but used a new scotch brite pad and plugged it back in. It literally took under 10 minutes and that's with cleaning the leaves from the exhaust too. My heater is now back in business and running smoothly. Thank you all! Thanks troublefreepool - I'm somewhat new to posting so I hope by adding the @ symbol it will alert tbird to the thank you.

@ps0303 and @tbird2340 You both saved me a $200 service call and who knows how much more in parts. My 1 year old H200FDN natural gas heater kept tripping my 20V GFCI breaker and shutting down. I finally watched it and it was starting and stopping just as described above. Thanks to the diagram you posted PLUS PHOTOS and the expert troubleshooting by ps0303 - I pulled the flame sensor out and it looked clean. Didn't have steel wool but used a new scotch brite pad and plugged it back in. It literally took under 10 minutes and that's with cleaning the leaves from the exhaust too. My heater is now back in business and running smoothly. Thank you all! Thanks troublefreepool - I'm somewhat new to posting so I hope by adding the @ symbol it will alert tbird to the thank you.

That’s great!! Glad you got it working!

Awesome! Glad to have been able to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.