GFCI Question

Jun 1, 2016
Canada
Hello, I'm running a 12x30 intex metal frame above ground pool with an Intex saltwater system. Both my pump and saltwater system have gfcis built into the plugs. They are both currently plugged into a non-GFCI outlet inside my garage, the cords run under the garage door...the gap is big enough so the cords don't get squished. I also have the pool pump plugged into a woods timer. My question is, is my outlet considered "indoors" since it's inside a garage? Or do i need to convert to a GFCI outlet? The outlet is roughly 10-12 feet away from the pool. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference with electrical codes. Any insight would be appreciated!

I am not too familiar with Canadian codes, but for the most part they follow the US NEC. Should there be a GFCI, Yes. However here is where it can get confusing. Was the garage built when the codes required one??? codes are not retroactive so there may not have been a requirement for one at that time. Personally, I would have installed one. Now for the next code issue. Codes do not allow for temporary wiring (extension cords, Appliance cords, etc) to pass thru doors and windows

My Intex pump has a built in GFCI plug as well. When it was plugged into a GFCI recepticle, as soon as the internal Intex pump timer shut off the pump, the GFCI on the built in plug end of the pump tripped and it had to be reset manually. My understanding is one GFCI is enough, whether it's the receptacle at the house or the one built into the plug at the end of the pump cord. But again, I'm not an electrician. It's interesting you got an external timer to work at all. I tried that when I first set up my pool and when the external timer turned off the pump, the GFCI on the plug end tripped and I had to manually rest it before the pump would come back on again.. Try this link from a couple days ago..[h=1]Intex 1000 gph pump-GFI will not reset[/h]

Last edited:
The conundrum:

The NEC requires electrical outlets supplying power to a permanently installed pool to be protected by a GFCI. NEC 680.20(C). The Plug connection for a permanent pool does not have to have integrated GFCI protection. NEC 680.20(A)(5).

The NEC requires 125 volt electrical outlets within 20 feet of a sorable pool to be protected by a GFCI. NEC 680.32. The Plug connection for a storable pool must have integrated GFCI protection. NEC 680.31.

So if you cut the GFCI off the cord the pump no longer has its UL certification.

Frankly I have no answer, because as you have noticed GFCI in series tend to have more nuisance trips. Inexpensive timers and transformers only make things worse.

I think this is rather nuts. I would buy a high quality timer. I would use the two GFCI unless I had a tripping problem. I would have the GFCI in the outlet not the breaker. If I had a tripping problem I would replace the entire cord, not just cut off the end. I would keep the GFCI cord so I could replace it later if I sell the pool.

Yes, you need to change over to a GFIC outlet. Not hard to do and not expensive.

Hello, I'm running a 12x30 intex metal frame above ground pool with an Intex saltwater system. Both my pump and saltwater system have gfcis built into the plugs. They are both currently plugged into a non-GFCI outlet inside my garage, the cords run under the garage door...the gap is big enough so the cords don't get squished. I also have the pool pump plugged into a woods timer. My question is, is my outlet considered "indoors" since it's inside a garage? Or do i need to convert to a GFCI outlet? The outlet is roughly 10-12 feet away from the pool. I'm in Canada if that makes any difference with electrical codes. Any insight would be appreciated!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.