Newbie and confused. . .

M

mccusaf

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks so I have the basic idea of BBB and fully embrace the idea!

We bought a used 15 x 30 x 4 ft AG (previous owner said its around 10 years old or so) and have had a heck of a time installing it. We finally got to the point where we could add water (still need to put the top around it and finish building the deck access and landscaping the MUD around it and all that good stuff).

I do NOT have the recommended test kit yet. I am using a 5 way test kit: Chlorine Bromine pH Alkalinity Acid, bear with me until I get the good one!

We filled on Wednesday to get the liner in place and left the hoses running overnight and woke up surprised to a 3/4 full pool in the morning (filled much faster than we thought! We thought it would take 2 days or so) Plumbing was to be hooked up Saturday morning so I added a bottle of bleach every morning by walking the perimeter and pouring. Friday morning I bought CYA from Walmart in a 3 lb container and put it in a nylon and tied it to the steps. Saturday I tied it in front of the return line after we got the plumbing going and it was gone that evening. (I know it takes awhile to truly 'dissolve' though)

Tested Friday night and chlorine was either 3 or 5 ppm (I can't tell the difference between the yellows between the two and no I'm not colorblind! LOL) and pH seems to be around 7.3 (in between 7.2 or 7.5)
Pressure on the filter was around 10.

FC: 3-5 ppm
pH: 7.3

Saturday morning, water was clear except for the dirt on the bottom from the steps we put in (they were dirty but we needed to be able to get out after setting the liner)
Added salt for Intex SWG early morning and when I started sweeping it around the water took on a slight greenish tint to it, I thought maybe from the red dirt that was being stirred up. Water was still clear but green tinted. Measured the water again, CHL was still either 3-5 ppm and pH still around 7.3. Late that night we turned on the SWG to test it and ran it for an hour and everything went great. The water was still very clear but still greenish.

temp: 82

Sunday morning, water still looks the same, rained all day and chilly. Hubby vac'd up some of the dirt. Added nylons to skimmer basket to help catch gunk. Pressure on filter was around 8 (don't ask me how it dropped! we didn't backwash or anything) **SWG ran for an hour (I think) because we forgot to adjust timing after the initial test.

temp: 72

Monday (today) water is still very clear but greenish, I can see the small amounts of dirt on the bottom that still need to be vac'd up (I'm guessing it keeps settling). Pressure on filter 12.

pH:7.3
temp: 73

I just tested my tap water just to make sure I am doing it correctly and the FC was barely registering at .5 ppm, pH was 7.3.

Attached is the picture I just took of it. Water is still very clear but it looks green to me? I know that I need to get the good test kit for reliable numbers but I am thinking maybe a shock is in order so we don't wake up to a disaster one morning.

Opinions?

***Adding stats to signature after I post this, thanks!

Nicole

**BTW we have to sink the steps, any suggestions? Previous owner used play sand bags. . .

Attachments

• IMG00027.jpg
    IMG00027.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 182
Also,

Hubby complains about burning eyes when under water. He thinks we have too much chlorine in there because the test kit is so YELLOW on chlorine but I am leaning toward maybe needing a good shocking. Water is blue when looked at straight on but has the greenish look when looking over the whole top of it.

Hi mccusaf and welcome :wave:

The burning eyes is usually from CC's and/or low pH.

Green usually, almost always, means algae and a need to shock!

You can read the article on How to Shock your pool & Defeating Algae in Pool School.

How much CYA did you add? You could safely shock to FC 10 to get started. Use liquid chlorine/bleach for shocking.
Use Jason's Pool Calculator to figure your doses.

I suggest you leave your SWG OFF until you are done shocking.

You do need a good test kit. I recommend the TF100, link in my sig. :wink:

Hey, mcusaff,

Welcome to the forum.

Compare some of the pictures of members pools on the homepage with the color of your water. Your pool water is not clear. Virtually always, that means algae.

You should go up into Pool School and read all about the different parameters of pool water....inparticular about chlorine and it's purpose in yur pool and what happens to it in a pool with algae.

You'll get a lot of great help here from a lot of knowledgeable folks. The Pool School will get you started learning and will generate a lot of questions to ask.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.