Robot vs pressure side cleaner for NOLA

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
Have done copious amounts of research, both here and elsewhere, but still can't figure out what we should go with, what's best for our situation.

We are almost finished with our new pool, and the PB put in the pipe for a pressure side cleaner, but I believe they just capped it off, did not run it all the way to the equipment (though I could be wrong about this), as we weren't sure what we wanted to do in terms of a cleaner.

The patio deck is still yet to be done, so we could do whatever work is necessary for a pressure side cleaner before laying the patio, though I suspect there will be some cost associated with doing so. Our PB actually said a lot of people are just going with the robots nowadays, that they've gotten much better, but my GC, who has a pool, swears up and down that the only way to go is with a pressure side (specifically Polaris, the 280 is the one everyone around here has).

We are in New Orleans, so the pool will stay open pretty much all year (will put a solar cover on in fall and winter), and given our yard, I suspect we are going to get a fair bit of leaves and that sort of stuff in the pool, so trying to figure out what's best for our situation.

I like the idea that the robots use much less energy (at least that's my understanding), and don't require the extra pump and such. I don't love that I'd have to take it out every time (I think that's the case?), and seems that they are quite a bit more expensive generally (although with the cost to set up for the pressure side, might be a wash), and I also get the impression they don't last as long as pressure side cleaners?

Any thoughts, advice, input, etc. would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of pressure side cleaners that require and additional booster pump because of the excess energy usage. There are plenty of cleaners that don't require boosters.

Also, not all robots are required to be removed from the pool. Some have weekly timers so are meant to be kept in the pool all the time. That is one feature you will want and also make sure it has a swivel cord and brushes that actually brush the floor and walls.

All the technology, all of the new models, and MOST of the advertising goes towards robots. Not only for the reason of energy use as mas985 points out, but they are getting better all the time. The future for pool cleaners is all about robots.

That's good to hear, makes me feel better about robots. I do know there are some that say they can be left in, but I've heard they are prone to algae.

Now the question is which one! Seems like Dolphins are quite popular, eh?

You should keep your option to have a pressure side in the future if you want one and have them run the pipe. Even though more expensive to run, the Polaris 280 can't be beat. If you have a robot, you will still, most likely, have to brush the walls. They don't do that good of a job on the walls. You'll need two cleaners anyway so when one breaks you won't be stuck. If there was a robot that really did walls good, I would be sold.

The 280 is a proven cleaner for a long time. You do have to do maintenance on them such as adjust the "tail" periodically so they move as intended.

I love my robot. I suppose where your power source is and where you store the robot when not in use has a bit to do with how user friendly it is. Mine sits on the covered patio right by the pool when not in use. No hauling it around etc.

No matter what you end up with, they all have the plus and minus, you just have to decide what fits your situation best.

I would second the notion, that even if you do go for a robot, go ahead and complete the plumbing line back to the pad. You never know what the future holds.

Thanks for the continued discussion.

And what about the Polaris 360, which does not require the booster pump, and seems to me not to require that extra plumbing line, or does it too?

Pool builder says it would be $1100 just to run the plumbing line now, which seems ridiculous, but that's what she says. So that's probably not going to happen. Will either have the option of 360 if that's possible, or stick with robots and take what we can get.

First off, verify what line they capped off and what its use is intended for. You can plumb it at the pad for either pressure or suction depending on where it is tied in at the pad.

I can't say if $1100 is too much as I have no idea where the line terminates at. If the yard needs to be dug up and repaired to extend the line to the pad, then it could very well be reasonable to pay $1100. The line should have been run to the pad in any case, so not sure what to say about that.

Looks like you need to invest some time researching robots.

Yeah, the PB sucks, that's what to say about it. Not happy with them at all.

$1100 is completely unreasonable - someone else today said maybe around $500, to put it in perspective. There's no deck or anything at the moment, so it's not that big a deal.

That said, I just think that I couldn't justify the energy usage of a separate pump for a pressure side one that requires that, so I do think it's going to be either the Polaris 360 (if it doesn't require that extra plumbing line) or a robot, or maybe just a pool service who will come weekly and do all the necessary cleaning - we travel a lot too, so that might not be a bad thing.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I have the Hayward Tiger Shark QC Robotic cleaner. I like how nicely it cleans the pool. It does not replace serious wall brushing, though. Takes less than 5 minutes to clean with a hose. My first lasted 3 1/2 years. Just bought second earlier 2016. I leave it sitting in pool nearly all the time, which is not what manufacturer recommends.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I currently have Polaris 360. Have had same one since built pool in 2005. The main maintanence is replacing tail usually once a season and the bag about every 2-3 years, neither is very costly. We had the hose connecting a wear and leak a few times which definitely affects the function. It does not scrub, climb walls very well, and often gets stuck in corners. You also must clean bag frequently ( sometimes several times a day) to keep it cleaning if have many leaves. We are currently research robotic and are def switching this year. Main reason is pulling Polaris in n out to swim is a pain, takes like 8plus hours to cover and remove most debri and almost never gets all areas. That said, I would NOT want to without this as a back up. I understand robotic one break down every 2-3 years. My research has narrowed us down to dolphinepremier or aquabot elite. Both about $1100 (plus 59 for remote for Dolphine). I'm hoping I don't regret the decision!

I have a Polaris 360 which was included when I built the pool 7 summers ago. No booster pump and it just feeds off my 2HP Jandy pump. However, I have found over time that it really takes most of the pumps resources to keep it moving - I have to shut off practically every other return. The tail NEVER whipped around like I've seen others do in videos, and lately the poor thing tends to get stuck in corners and sits there till the back-up valve kicks in. I even purchased the tune-up kit and replaced every internal moving part, and it still simply doesn't perform like it used to in the beginning. I too am looking for a robotic cleaner instead. But I'll hang onto the Polaris 360 "just in case"!! I will say that I like the filter bag though. Velcro closure stays closed and it really does a good job at collecting the smallest of particles (i.e. dirt/sand) and keeping it there till I empty.

One extra note. For some reason my PB gave me the all black model (I think it's referred to as MAX), which is usually used in pools with dark plaster (which mine does not). I only mention this because it seems that the replacement parts are not easily found (my local Leslie's only carries the parts in white), and when you do find them, they are much more expensive (tune up kit was $300 compared to $125 for the white). Needless to say my Polaris is starting to to change colors, piece by piece!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.