A couple Stenner questions.

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
Here's my plan, wire a Stenner 45MPHP2 (fixed rate - 3 gallons per day) to run with the filter pump. I have the pump timer set to run 6 hours a day so the 45MPHP2 will put out 3/4 of a gallon or 96 ounces per day. I only need about 24 ounces so I'll add 3 gallons of water for every gallon of chlorine. Am I on the right track?

The other question is what tube to use. Black/white 1/4" or 3/8"

You need a timer with a stenner. In NY where you close your pool it might not matter, but a timer allows you to control the amount of chlorine going to the pool. If your pool is 22K or less and you don't have a vsp then a liquidator would do exactly the same as what you propose for about 1/2 the cost.

Why do you want the Stenner grinding away all that time? Get the cheap Woods timer and the 10 or 17 GPD Stenner. Then run it for just a few minutes, several times a day. Much less wear and tear that way. The Woods timer can be programmed for up to 20 events per day.

I'll add a timer to my shopping list. I still need to decide on the 3 gpd or 10 gpd model. The 3 gpd would run about 1 1/2 hours a day & the 10 would run just under 1/2 hour. I like the idea of the chlorine being dispensed slower so there's no problem if someone is swimming when the Stenner comes on. Do I really need to worry about wear & tear on something that will run 1 1/2 hours a day for four months a year?

I'll add a timer to my shopping list. I still need to decide on the 3 gpd or 10 gpd model. The 3 gpd would run about 1 1/2 hours a day & the 10 would run just under 1/2 hour. I like the idea of the chlorine being dispensed slower so there's no problem if someone is swimming when the Stenner comes on. Do I really need to worry about wear & tear on something that will run 1 1/2 hours a day for four months a year?

I'm running the Stenner 17 GPD and I figure it's dispensing a little less than 2 oz. per minute. Considering a filter flow rate of 30 GPM, that's less than 2 oz. chlorine diluted into 30 gallons of water. Then it dilutes even further the moment it hits the pool water. I don't think you will have a problem with either the 3 or 10 GPD pumps.

There's probably no wear and tear concerns at 1.5 hours a day. I was thinking more about the 6 hours per day you mentioned originally. Still, at 1.5 hours per day, that means the little rubber pump tube is being squished and squeezed for 180 hours per year. Again, not a big deal, but I opted for minimal run times instead of slow dosing.

I just got everything connected & the Stenner is pumping away. The Stenner raised the chlorine level 1 ppm in an hour. I went with another Intermatic ST01 timer which is the same timer that is controlling the filter pump. Here's some pics of the temporary install. I'm thinking about using PVC pipe for the permanent set-up.

Couple of things I noticed about your setup that you may want to consider. Looks like you get some decent sun on your equipment pad. You should probably consider switching to the black UV protected tubing and either paint or cover your storage tank....both to prevent degradation of the chlorine.
Also that 45 deg PVC fitting might be a concern. It doesn't seem like there would be good flow over the injection tip..and there could be potential for water or chlorine to pool in that 45deg connector. It's probably better to use a tee fitting or just tap right in to the PVC pipe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know Stenner recommends having the injection tip in the middle of the flow....but with the rate of flow from the pool pump....you could be right. Sounds like you got it figured out with Ver 2.0. Just make sure to change out the white tubing with the UV black tubing as well.

I was trying to decide between the 3gpd and 10gpd as well. Ended up going with the 10gpd...as it allows me to bring it up to shock level in a shorter amount of time. What's good is that all we have to do is change the tube if we ever decide to change the flow rate.

Here's version 2.0
I used two panels on the three sides that get sun. There's a 1/2 inch gap between the panels & at the bottom. It should provide a natural draft to help keep the inside from baking. I'm not sure how effective this will be but it sure won't hurt.

Very neat, great job!
I have yet to receive a brand new Stenner 45MPHP2 and use it to inject MA. Since my pool system is in the open, getting too much sun is my concern.
If I may ask, where did you get the plastic container from?

Sorry for the delay in responding. The chlorine container is from the chemical store where I get the chlorine. It just cost $10 & will hold close to 6 gallons. The housing that holds everything is made of 1/2 inch sheet pvc from Home Depot.

V2.0 looks great!!! Now with V2.5, just change the tubing coming out of the box to black uv resistant tubing and you're all set.

So you think the heat from black tubing would degrade the chlorine less than the sunlight shining on the translucent white tubing? I was thinking of either burying it in the ground or getting some of that insulation for pipes & run the tube through that. I'm not 100% sure I need to do anything, the tube can't hold much chlorine. Hmmm - should fill some of the left over tube & see how much it does hold.

So you think the heat from black tubing would degrade the chlorine less than the sunlight shining on the translucent white tubing? I was thinking of either burying it in the ground or getting some of that insulation for pipes & run the tube through that. I'm not 100% sure I need to do anything, the tube can't hold much chlorine. Hmmm - should fill some of the left over tube & see how much it does hold.

The black tubing is UV resistant so it will not crack like the clear will over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.