New member,

lcmcb

Jun 5, 2016
Bloomington, Indiana
Hello all,
New to the site. Have had an eventful few years with our new pool. We installed back in 2011 and this is our 5th open season. The first year was awesome..no issues following the instructions of the pool store.
So, continued to trust them, which was my quite obvious mistake. The second year was good for a while, until we had a filter issue (sand filter cracked while under warranty, and of course we were out of town for about 4 days at the time.) which led to a rapid deterioration. And since our CYA at that time was probably well over 100, we wound up with a pool full of ammonia and then spent weeks getting that fixed. The next year went ok (probably b/c of all the water i had to dilute out), but last year ended up with the same issue with ammonia. Essentially, we got that cleared, but the pool was never quite right.....limped it along to get it closed.
Upon opening this year, changed out 50% of the water twice to dilute out any ammonia, etc. Balanced the water and then was shocking per the pool store's recommendations. (Which in retrospect, were probably not strong enough to eliminate CC in the water). Continued to have some persistent cloudiness despite repeated shocks and addition of a clarifier.

Anyway, was a chemistry major in college and absolutely fed up with the lack of science that the pool store people seem to have. Don't know why i've waited so long to research this myself.

After doing research on my own and finding this site and buying a good test kit (Taylor FAS-DPD) i am hoping for a much better (cheaper and clearer) summer. My most recent test showed the following:
Total chlorine 6
Free chlorine 4.5
CC 1.5
pH 7.3
Total alkalinity 130
Calcium 210
CYA 34
The pool smells very chlorine-ish...so guessing this is a chloramine issue. Other than the water being hazy, there is no notable issue...i.e. no obvious algae. Surfaces are good (not slimy). We have had some issues with a black mold in areas not touched by water under the cover. (along some of the plastic edging, etc). We were told by the pool co that we could hit this with a mild bleach solution and brush away....which we have been doing for years, and this does seem to keep this in check. Again, none of this is along the water line or in the pool....only outside it in damp areas.

Based on this....i did a 15ppm shock with clorox (7.9%) last night. I calculated that the 7.9% clorox, 121oz bottle should raise me almost exactly 3ppm. So did 5 bottles.
This morning, still hazy but hasn't yet been 24 hrs...test strip shows chlorine level >10 (that's as high as the test strip goes).
Will let ya know how it's looking and ask for help if this doesn't fix things.
Thanks for your future help and chemistry know-how.

Awesome. Thanks for the help. Level of FC at 24 hrs was 12, CC was 1. Re-added clorox to keep FC about 15 for the SLAM based on the calculator.
Will keep checking every 12 hrs until i meet the endpoint. Still cloudy, but slightly better today.
Also got some DE from amazon to add to my sand filter per the instructions. Should have that by tuesday...

Thanks....yeah, wish this darn JOB didn't get in the way, otherwise i could check more frequently. ;-)
This am was at 17 FC and 18 TC. Didn't add this am, then 13.5 FC and 14.5 TC this evening. Added 3ppm back.
Pool noticeably clearer today...still hazy in deep end. Will keep slamming to endpoint.

Todays' number went for TC/FC:
morning `7.5/16.5
evening 12/11 (wow...ate 5ppm).
added back roughly 6ppm this evening.
also, got my DE today (god love amazon!).
so started added per the instructions.
pressure may have barely gone up....but not a full 1 psi. when i got to 3 cups, got a bit nervous so stopped adding as the instructions say most filters will need only 1-2 cups.
think i should add more?, or just watch the pressure for a day or two now and see what happens?
maybe certain sand filter types take more DE than others, so added my exact filter brand/type to my sig line below.
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

oops....just noted. first line should've read 17.5/16.5 on the chlorine numbers.

Yeah...was following the instructions there. just didn't want to overdo it on the DE.
My pump pressure had gone up a point only a couple hours later though, so am guessing my filter just requires a slightly higher amount than the average.
After my next backwash, will add the 3 cups and then 1/4 cup at a time again to see what my total should be. Am guessing it won't take much more.

On the chlorine front, was at 16.5/15.5 TC/FC today. though the CC looked like it was VERY close to .5ppm as the soln almost completely cleared with 1 drop of the reagent. Continues to look hazy, so just holding that chlorine level.

thanks

Yes I would be mindful of not overdoing the DE.

I think you still need to concentrate on the chemistry side of things as opposed to the filter issue at this stage. Just make sure your running the pump -24/7. As has been mentioned, a SLAM will always goes quicker when regular additions of chlorine are maintained as much as possible. (obviously work amongst other things does get in the way at times).

I think this will be the key to solving the hazy issue, at least until you start holding your FC at a more consistent level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have not done so, I would highly suggest that you brush your pool weekly and even more frequently during the SLAM.

Hey all,
Thanks. Yes, continuing slam. CC continues to be just barely above 0.5...in fact, argues about whether there was still color in there requiring another drop of reagent... maintaining FC around 15ppm.
Also, clarity has dramatically improved. Wouldn't say perfect yet, but darn close. The chlorine smell has also mostly gone away...though still can detect it a bit.
Think i am getting close.
Also, am brushing daily, and have a robot going as well.
Filtration has not gone up in pressure much...maybe running about 1-2psi higher than baseline now (including the de addition). and, yeah, have a cont/single speed pump and running all the time.

Update...
nearly crystal clear water.
CC now at 0.5 or less last 24 hrs.
Will do the overnight chlorine test tonight.
If stable, will let the levels drop down so the kids can swim, yay!
Question....if i get down into normal ranges and still have a small amt of CC (like 0.2-0.4 range), would u continue to be pretty aggressive with intermittent shocking until gone? The goal on CC in .2 ppm or less correct?

Hey all,
So...interesting question. Everything went great with the OCLT. Waited until just before dark and tested. Dropped exactly 1ppm from 16 to 14.
So, Saturday morning went ahead and let levels drop in the sunlight and had some swimming. Have very strictly kept my free chlorine within the target range at around 5ppm and has not dropped lower than 4ppm since coming out of SLAM (CYA is 34).
pH is 7.4. The pool has continued to clear and now i would have to say it is pretty much perfectly clear. However, my CC has started to rise. Was still at 0.5 saturday night and sunday morning, but then sunday evening noted it was 0.75.
This evening it is up to 1.0. (FC 4, CC 1). Do cont to have the "chlorine-ish" smell, which i have to say is better than a couple weeks ago, but still present. I would say i have added only 6ppm total of chlorine since saturday morning, and that was with a decent bather load on saturday.
Is this concerning? Should i put it back into slam?
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all,
So...interesting question. Everything went great with the OCLT. Waited until just before dark and tested. Dropped exactly 1ppm from 16 to 14.
So, Saturday morning went ahead and let levels drop in the sunlight and had some swimming. Have very strictly kept my free chlorine within the target range at around 5ppm and has not dropped lower than 4ppm since coming out of SLAM (CYA is 34).
pH is 7.4. The pool has continued to clear and now i would have to say it is pretty much perfectly clear. However, my CC has started to rise. Was still at 0.5 saturday night and sunday morning, but then sunday evening noted it was 0.75.
This evening it is up to 1.0. (FC 4, CC 1). Do cont to have the "chlorine-ish" smell, which i have to say is better than a couple weeks ago, but still present. I would say i have added only 6ppm total of chlorine since saturday morning, and that was with a decent bather load on saturday.
Is this concerning? Should i put it back into slam?
Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

oops, that should've read, 16 to 15 on the OCLT.

The increase in CC means an excessive amount of FC is being used and oxidizing, so there is a bit of stress on your chemistry for some reason. It would be a good idea to increase the FC. Perhaps at least for 24 hours and check CC after that to see if it's resolved. Good catch though. That's what it's all about. Knowing your pool. :goodjob:

Hey all,
have a chemistry question. wondering if someone might know the answer.
so...have been following methods here flawlessly and pool has been perfect since it came out of slam.
since the one day above, CC has always been at 0.5 and i have kept the FC levels above 2.5 at all times.
pH has been very stable (has climbed slightly to 7.6 on test today). CYA at 34. Total alkalinity 130. calcium 220.

anyway, have been using purely bleach for my chlorine additions.
tonight, my level had fallen to 2.5FC (lots of swimming and sun) and so was going to add back about 6ppm of chlorine.
had some lithium hypochlorite handy and so decided to go ahead and use that tonight, so threw in a couple bags.
i got a reaction a few seconds after adding this where very fine white foam/bubbles formed and boiled up and out. within just 2-3 minutes, was all gone.
(only other time i've seen this was with an ammonia problem a few yrs ago, but that was MUCH more vigorous bubbling. checked my ammonia level and it was zero, so it isn;t that.)
wondering why the dry shock would do this? could it be due to my ozonator? that's the only other new thing potentially i could think of that could cause it other than some contaminant....
but pool has been and is perfectly clear.....so can;t imagine what that could be. 20160714_202940.jpg

I would avoid using any solid chlorine products. They tend to add CYA and you don't want that creeping up and getting out of control on you. Check out the Recommended Levels and Chlorine/CYA Chart to make sure you are keeping everything in range. Round your CYA number up to the next 10, so 40 in your case based off the numbers you gave at the beginning of the thread. So never let your FC go below 3, target 5 but you may have to go a little higher on your target if your FC loss is more than 2ppm per day. Great job getting control of your pool!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.