DE filters becoming extinct?

G

I was just to my local pool chain store and asked about the DE filters instead of Sand or Cartridge for an AGP and the guy was all negative about DE filters. First he DE is cancerous and the the Sewer companies are not allowing it anymore.

They sell recycled glass media filters instead and were pushing for this.

Is DE really on its way out the door? Or just this one guys opinion?

What's the opinion on here?

RE-cycled glass is the latest "fad" however after seeing it in operation for a couple of years here (in new zealand) we are now starting to see the following

fine dust coming back into the pool. This is caused by the fact there is no consistency in the hardness of the glass. It uses bottles, windows, car windscreens, saftey glass, all mashed up together. Under pressure in a filter the harder glass pulverises and grinds up the softer glass until it is literally dust, in much the same way the waves on a beach grind rocks into sand.

Zeolites are gaining in popularity, however there are around 30 different mines around the world, and the quality and hardness (measured on the Mohs hardness scale) vary. The softer zeolites will after a period of a couple of years under pressure turn into cement (well just about). We have sold a very hard form of Zeolite mined in australia (mohs hardness 8.5) and over the last 7 years have not had a single complaint. Although recently i have seen several filters ruined through use of the softer zeolites.

DE powder has been linked to lung cancer - so care should be taken when applying it

i cant comment on local authorities there banning it, however would be fairly easy to check with another local shop or local authority

No DE is here to stay, despite it's minor disadvantages. Nothing else filters as well as DE. There have been many attempts to create substitutes and they have all fallen short in some way or another.

DE is a carcinogen when breathed in. If you are handling dry DE you should wear a dust mask, problem solved. In some areas you can not release DE into the sewers or the environment. In those places you use a separation tank to catch the DE, so it can be disposed of correctly.

That's funny, because my pool store only sells DE filters (or would like to, at least). "The cartridges are always cracking... watch the cracking!!!" they told me. lol

This is after I told them I was interested in cartridge filters instead of their DE filter. Yes DE filters finer particles, but my choice was ultimately the cartridge. So I had to go elsewhere for the pool setup. They pretty much laughed me out of the store when I asked for cartridge. One of them stated to the other "He got his information from "THE INTERNET"... " and they all laughed.

I'm glad I found this place BEFORE I made my decision. Thank you TFP!

I dont reccomend DE filters to customers unless they have a hard plumbed waste line available for backwashing. I just think they make a mess. I always advise a good quality cartridge filter. Im pretty into the clean and clear 520 for just about any inground.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.