Add all 3 B's at same time

Add 1 and brush the pool and add the next (about 10 minutes between) :) are you sure you need borax and baking soda?

What are your numbers?

What are you testing with? Those numbers are not really possible.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I'm testing with the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD kit.

It took 65 drops of R-006 base demand reagent to pull PH up to 7.5. I'm looking at the chart and 65 drops is literally off of the chart.

FC would not register no matter how much DPD was added.

For TA, R-008 total alkalinity indicator immediately caused the water to turn red - not green - which researching on this forum seems to indicate that the TA level is 0.

Was the TA test immediately red too?

Where are you pool details?

Sounds like your pH and TA have crashed VERY low for some reason. Use PoolMath to target a TA of 50ppm and add that amount of baking soda. Circulate for at least an hour and then retest the pH and TA.

Was the TA test immediately red too?

Where are you pool details?

Sounds like your pH and TA have crashed VERY low for some reason. Use PoolMath to target a TA of 50ppm and add that amount of baking soda. Circulate for at least an hour and then retest the pH and TA.

Yes TA turned immediately red when I added R-008 Total Alkilinity Indicator.

Pool details. 21 foot above ground vinyl with 1 HP Hayward pump and Hayward Perflex DE filter.

Thanks so much for your help. Truly appreciated.

Your low pH is certainly damaging your pool and equipment. Get that baking soda in there ASAP.

Ok.

Just added 4 pounds of baking soda and borax.

Pool Math says to put 28 pounds of Borax and 8 pounds of Baking Soda, but I couldn't bring myself to put that much in.

Maybe I'll have to put the whole 28 pounds in.

I'll test again in 30 minutes and let you know what it says.

I did not say add borax. I said add only baking soda to target 50ppm of TA.

You can not adjust the pH when the TA is that low. And the act of raising the TA will also raise the pH.

Now by the time we get the TA right, your pH is likely going to be too high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did not say add borax. I said add only baking soda to target 50ppm of TA.

You can not adjust the pH when the TA is that low. And the act of raising the TA will also raise the pH.

Now by the time we get the TA right, your pH is likely going to be too high.

Darn.

I guess I messed up then.

I was just trying to do what Pool Math said. I'll listen to you better from now on.

Why did the FC go up?

Again target 50ppm TA from 0ppm, add that baking soda, retest only the pH and TA in an hour.

IIRC, the recommended pool chemicals article suggests broadcasting the baking soda into the pool or is it dissolved in a bucket? Can not remember I never have to add it.

Why did the FC go up?

Again target 50ppm TA from 0ppm, add that baking soda, retest only the pH and TA in an hour.

IIRC, the recommended pool chemicals article suggests broadcasting the baking soda into the pool or is it dissolved in a bucket? Can not remember I never have to add it.

Because I had added bleach before I even started this thread (but hadn't re-tested by then).

ok I'll add another 4 lb's baking soda.

But the TA was still 0 after the first 4 pounds, so you still should need to add 8 more to get from 0 to 50ppm. Your TA may have started as negative.

Ahh!

Great point. Didn't think of that.

Well that makes sense why I just tested it and the TA only went up to 30.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.