Any tricks for ladder install, for easier removel?

haybird

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Ontario
Hello,
Does anybody have any tricks for an inground ladder install that will make it easier
to remove in the fall? Anything that will prevent that white stuff from building up.
Thanks for any help, I have been spending hrs trying to get it out the last two falls.
Thanks again

The white stuff is oxidation and 'welds' the stainless rails to the aluminum anchor cups (galvanic oxidation, if I remember correctly). It's noticed on SWCG pools within a season or 2 and on other pools after a number of years. With the SWCG's the cause is the salt building up in the cups over a time - I assume that it's the same cause on pools chlorinated by other means (all chlorine sources end up adding salt to the pool). There was a thread(s) on PF concerning prevention of this (I'll find them and link them if you'd like) - bottom line - keep the salt water out of the cups with caulk or similar, keep the aluminum out of contact with the steel by painting, taping, etc., or use a sacrificial zinc anode to rot before the 'welding' can occur 8)

Now if the problem is how to get the rails back out once this has happened... that's a different set of linked posts :p - my answer is water :wink:

Various posts at PF recommend heavy marine grade grease, vaseline, and paint. I don't remember anyone saying, I tried this and it worked. One of the issues is that you want a good electrical connection. Anything that will really work is likely to interfere with that.

Took Ted's advice in the spring and ran caulk around the ladder and rails. I caulked at the top of the anchor just filling in the gap around the metal tube.

Well they all came out without any effort today. I just unscrew the bolt that locks them in and then tap the bolt down to lower the locking clamp. I thought that I may need to cut the caulk, but that was not necessary.

Keeping the water out prevented any corrosion in the anchor cups.

Joe, THANK YOU !! for the "field report" :bowdown:

This was just a well based theory on my part - I'm VERY happy to hear that it actually works in 'real world' conditions :whoot:

Sorry your pool season is over :cry: I hope you have a great and trouble free winter! :handshake:

We'll see you here next spring :cheers: :party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.