Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any tricks for ladder install, for easier removel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any tricks for ladder install, for easier removel?

Hello,
    Does anybody have any tricks for an inground ladder install that will make it easier
    to remove in the fall? Anything that will prevent that white stuff from building up.
    Thanks for any help, I have been spending hrs trying to get it out the last two falls.
    Thanks again
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any tricks for ladder install, for easier removel?

I have the same question. I was thinking of some kind of grease in the ladder cups. Maybe Jack's Magic lube?
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

There has to be something out there. Taking out the ladder was the hardest job of closing the pool!!
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

4. Back To Top    #4

The white stuff is oxidation and 'welds' the stainless rails to the aluminum anchor cups (galvanic oxidation, if I remember correctly). It's noticed on SWCG pools within a season or 2 and on other pools after a number of years. With the SWCG's the cause is the salt building up in the cups over a time - I assume that it's the same cause on pools chlorinated by other means (all chlorine sources end up adding salt to the pool). There was a thread(s) on PF concerning prevention of this (I'll find them and link them if you'd like) - bottom line - keep the salt water out of the cups with caulk or similar, keep the aluminum out of contact with the steel by painting, taping, etc., or use a sacrificial zinc anode to rot before the 'welding' can occur 8)

Now if the problem is how to get the rails back out once this has happened... that's a different set of linked posts :P - my answer is water
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Ted,

I tried the search on PF, thought that I had even made a comment on the site, but couldn't find it.

If you can find it, that would be great.
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

6. Back To Top    #6

Various posts at PF recommend heavy marine grade grease, vaseline, and paint. I don't remember anyone saying, I tried this and it worked. One of the issues is that you want a good electrical connection. Anything that will really work is likely to interfere with that.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Took Ted's advice in the spring and ran caulk around the ladder and rails. I caulked at the top of the anchor just filling in the gap around the metal tube.

Well they all came out without any effort today. I just unscrew the bolt that locks them in and then tap the bolt down to lower the locking clamp. I thought that I may need to cut the caulk, but that was not necessary.

Keeping the water out prevented any corrosion in the anchor cups.
    Joe

8. Back To Top    #8

Joe, THANK YOU !! for the "field report"

This was just a well based theory on my part - I'm VERY happy to hear that it actually works in 'real world' conditions

Sorry your pool season is over I hope you have a great and trouble free winter!

We'll see you here next spring
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

9. Back To Top    #9

I also used the caulk method and it worked great. Every year that is the part of pool closing I dread, more than the pool cover.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

10. Back To Top    #10

For the last couple of years I use white lithium grease in an aerosol can. Coat the cups in the deck, rail ends, mounting hardware. It doesn't wash off and the rails slide out without any effort.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/