Cloudy Water Help!

Jun 21, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
We just had our local pool company open our pool 4 days ago. It is a 25,000 gallon inground oval pool. Our winter cover collapsed letting a lot of the leaves/debris that were on top to get in the pool a few weeks before opening. Our pool is a cloudy blue. Here are our numbers according to the pool store yesterday:
TC- 4.4
FC- 3.2
pH- 7.5
TA- 135
CH- 275
Stabilizer- 35
Shock Treatment- 1.2

Prior to this test we lowered pH which was at 8.4
After this test as suggested by the pool store we added algaecide, phosfree, 4 gallons chlorine (which was a repeat of what they added 3 days ago). This was about 24 hours ago. There has been no change in appearance.
New numbers according to my HTH test kit:
TC- Off the charts- Dark Orange?
Don't have a FC test, but test strips put it at highest PPM- 10-20 PPM, I think.
pH- 7.5
TA-130
CH- 180
CYA- 35

Filter is a Hawyard Vari-Flo XL with a 2.5 HP pump. It has been running continuously for 4 days.

We have tried to scoop out as much organic material as possible, but we can't see the bottom (not even in the shallow end). Am I just being impatient? What should we do next? How can I tell if it is a problem with the filter/pump? Both seem to be working fine. Help! We have such a short swimming season in Michigan, I hate wasting even one day :(

Your biggest limitation in resolving the algae issue and cloudiness is not having the proper test kit. That must be your #1 priority to perform a SLAM (link below). Please see the TF-100 link below in my sig and also look for the XL Option and speedstir. The pool store chemicals and advise are not going to help. For now, simply add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach to the water each day until you get that test kit (or a Taylor K-2006"C"). I recommend the TF-100. From there, we can show you how to resolve your problem. We'll look for those results. Have a great day.

Welcome to TFP :)

Have you been reading, I know it seems like a lot, we can help but you need your own test kit and please stop going by what the pool store is telling you.. that algaecide and phosfree is hurting more than helping.. do you still have the container from the algaecide? does it have copper or the name blue in it?

While those numbers look ok we really have no idea because pool store testing is just bad, they are trying to sell you chem's not fix your pool so the more they mess up the more money they make..

Ok, the plan :)

Order the TF100 with XL option, the speedstir is also very nice to have but you don't "have" to have it TFTestkits.net
Go to walmart pool isle, grab 10 1 gallon jugs of Bleach/liquid chlorine, its says "pool shock" on the label
go to lowes pool isle and grab chem tech muriatic acid (2 gallon box)

pour 1/2 gallon of bleach in every day until your test kit arrives, then do all of the tests and post numbers here

While you're waiting check out the links below :)

I have been religiously reading this site for the last four years, and have solved many pool problems thanks to you wonderful contributors! This is the first time we have ever had a murky/cloudy pool. I do have a 6-way test kit, but it doesn't test FC :(. I will suck it up and order the expensive kit! Cowboycasey- how much bleach should I pour in to start? Just 1/2 gallon? What about muriatic acid? Doesn't that lower pH? Sorry so many questions.

I will suck it up and order the expensive kit!
Most of us are "bargain shoppers" and try to make our $$ stretch. You will not regret the TF-100 w/ speed stir. That kit, and the results you receive at home, will save you more money and time that you can imagine through accurate testing and simple, proper chemical applications. Very good choice. :goodjob:

I have been religiously reading this site for the last four years, and have solved many pool problems thanks to you wonderful contributors! This is the first time we have ever had a murky/cloudy pool. I do have a 6-way test kit, but it doesn't test FC :(. I will suck it up and order the expensive kit! Cowboycasey- how much bleach should I pour in to start? Just 1/2 gallon? What about muriatic acid? Doesn't that lower pH? Sorry so many questions.

we love questions, that means your reading and learning :)

The MA will be used to lower your PH and TA, right now it is not needed until we get the test numbers but it is something you will need, just trying to save trips to the store :) You may need baking soda and 20 mule team borax also but no need to grab that right now, only if you need it and we will know once you get the test kit in..

The 1/2 gallon is just keeping your pool from getting worse, until you know exactly what is going on you can't fight the algae and we don't want to damage your liner..

We can get you going :)

Most of us are "bargain shoppers" and try to make our $$ stretch. You will not regret the TF-100 w/ speed stir. That kit, and the results you receive at home, will save you more money and time that you can imagine through accurate testing and simple, proper chemical applications. Very good choice. :goodjob:

I concur 100%. The cost of the test kit and understanding the pool chemistry will save you $$$ in the long run. Knowing you would almost never need the phosfree or algeside the pool store sold you. Learn to test your water and people here will always be here to answer questions and coach you along.

While you wait patiently-ish you can add your location, city, ST, to your profile so it shows up over there <----, climate is important and it will help us to better help you in the future. Settings upper right, Edit Profile lower left, don't forget to save.

Ok, obviously the kit hasn't come, but I want to try something. According to my research on this fantastic website, I need to raise my FC to 14 ppm and keep it there to shock (which is 7 gallons of 6% bleach according to the calculator). Since I don't have a super accurate way to measure FC, would it hurt anything to try it based on the Chlorine/CYA chart (maybe even throw in an extra gallon)? The kit shipped, so it should be here in a day or two and then I can more accurately measure the FC level, or just depend on my pool store's analysis (I know, I know :) ) until then. Thoughts? It is supposed to be 90 degrees here next weekend! I NEED to get my pool up and running :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The issue your going to run into is with your liner, if you overshoot there is a possibility that you can bleach the liner.. with that said it is up to you on if you want to take the chance and bring your FC up..

Did you get the 10% bleach from walmart

Nice :)

PH: take down to 7.2 with MA

use 40 CYA, so your SLAM level is FC16
using poolmath put 2fc in now and 16 in target, then add that amount and brush...

this is the part that can make it go fast, the more you test the faster it will go.. 2 hours between tests or as many as you can during the day

once you start the SLAM only test FC and CC
you are done when you pass all 3 tests in the OCLT

Alright day 3 of SLAMming. Keeping FC at/above 16 ppm, brushing daily, and backwashing when needed. I am starting to notice a very slight difference, but it doesn't seem to be clearing very quickly. How long does it usually take? And is there anything we can do to speed up the process? We are itching to get in our pool!!

sand filters are the easiest but take the longest to clear you water, you can add DE only when you can babysit your filter as the pressure will raise fast...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.