CYA Not Increasing as it Should

bstway

May 21, 2013
Falls Church, VA
When I opened my pool this year the CYA was undetectable with my K-2006. This was not surprising since I keep it low and the pool level was dropped substantially over the winter. So, I added 24 oz of CYA I had left over from last year. After a week there was no change in the reading. I’ve since added another 36 oz over the course of the past few weeks. It just now registers barely 20 ppm. My CYA reagent and the 36 oz of CYA were purchased this year. PoolMath indicates the amount of CYA I’ve added should bring it from 0 to 40 ppm. I thought CYA had a shelf life of at least a couple of years if stored properly which it has. What do you think is happening here?

FC 3
pH 7.7
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 20

Are you testing with Bright sunlight to your back outside and the CYA tester at waist level? I bet it is closer to 40 than you are seeing, you can try pouring it back and forth many times and glancing at the dot to get a better read :)

what brand of CYA? I seem to remember there was one brand last year that was not adding up to what it should have been. Of course I forget the brand :( See if you can find a different brand and try it.

Kim:cat:

Here are some reference pics, https://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=36

There have been occasional reports over the years of CYA not registering with the theory that there is something wrong with the CYA. Either that or it disappears quickly. Sort of like UFO sightings hard to verify but it is what it is. Only answer is to add more CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Casey mentioned above, it is very important to be outside under bright sunlight. That makes a huge difference. Even though it's supposed to be behind your back as you shade the viewing tube at waist level, that natural light really impacts the visibility of the black dot. We'll be curious to hear what you get today if the weather is nice there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.